VirtualBox 6.1.28 kext issues on M1 MacOS Monterey

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X pre-releases
nwtnt

VirtualBox 6.1.28 kext issues on M1 MacOS Monterey

Post by nwtnt »

klaus wrote:I've been communicating crystal clear (with explicit link) in my posts when we made a notarized test build available. All other test builds are not notarized, as stated on the test build page.
Sir, just to let you know that it still doesn't work on my Mac Monterey 12.01 M1 using your last notarized VirtualBox-6.1.29r148218 version.

Even after installing and rebooting many times it still brings the message when using Normal Start:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
With details:
The virtual machine 'VB' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine
And same details appears when choosing for a Headless start.

Also never received the Extensions message on Security & Privacy.

One thing that catches my attention was that, after trying to manually load it using terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv;
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt;
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp;
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB;
It returned the following:
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 "Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e}
Don't have the skills to understand what this means, but hopefully it can help you with something.

Tks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.28 kext issues on MacOS Monterey

Post by scottgus1 »

nwtnt wrote:on my Mac Monterey 12.01 M1
M1 Macs use ARM processors and are not compatible with Virtualbox.
See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=98742

Splitting this to its own topic to avoid misunderstandings in the original topic.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

nwtnt wrote:
klaus wrote:I've been communicating crystal clear (with explicit link) in my posts when we made a notarized test build available. All other test builds are not notarized, as stated on the test build page.
Sir, just to let you know that it still doesn't work on my Mac Monterey 12.01 M1 using your last notarized VirtualBox-6.1.29r148218 version.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out so clearly... Wonder if others in the original thread didn't state the "M1" detail as clearly.

This was one aspect which I didn't understand until today: the VirtualBox installer contains some scripting which checks the CPU architecture, and gives an appropriate message when it isn't an Intel CPU.

The check gets the wrong result, thanks to Apple using Rosetta to run installers which don't claim ARM compatibility. And there really is no other way to create an installer which refuses to work on ARM... very non-intuitive. Digging around this mess allowed me to fix the installer. Now gives an appropriate message early, refusing the install.

Note that this isn't the end of the story... there will be M1 support. Can't tell anyone right now what exactly it will do and when it will be available.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Klaus, would you like this topic merged back?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

No, it is perfect this way. The other thread doesn't mention M1 anywhere, so it reflects one set of posts and this one another.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Very good! :D
klaus wrote:there will be M1 support. Can't tell anyone right now what exactly it will do and when it will be available.
Betcha there's a good number of Mac users who'll be happy about this!
nwtnt

Post by nwtnt »

klaus wrote:No, it is perfect this way. The other thread doesn't mention M1 anywhere, so it reflects one set of posts and this one another.
Thanks a lot for your clarification!
I've lost a considerable amount of hours trying everything available on the Forum.

My suggestion then is to assign "M1" on the title of this tread so others can find it promptly.

Tks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.28 kext issues on M1 MacOS Monterey

Post by scottgus1 »

'Tis done!
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

The installer of VirtualBox 6.1.30 should finally tell the user straight on start if the CPU isn't meeting the requirements.

It's quite non-intuitive that a macOS installer which doesn't list arm64 as a compatible platform will actually wholesale run in Rosetta, which means that the CPU incompatibility check we had for a long time would not go off (because Rosetta pretends to be an Intel CPU). There is actually no way for an installer to express that it isn't able to run on M1. It needs to report arm64 compatibility, then the installer script can check the CPU and see that it isn't Intel...
emrecio

Post by emrecio »

Please note, I ran into this issue when I got the M1 MacOS. The best bet at this point is to spend $100USD for Parallels. Works like a charm!

I still use VBox on all my other machines (MacOS Intel, AMD x86-64, Intel x86-64).
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

emrecio wrote:Please note, I ran into this issue when I got the M1 MacOS.
M1 Macs are still not supported yet, so your results are expected.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

emrecio wrote:The best bet at this point is to spend $100USD for Parallels. Works like a charm!
Works like a charm to do what? I very much doubt that it runs Intel/AMD64 versions of Windows 10/11 in a VM. It will be running the ARM build of Win10 - which is no great marvel, I've been able to do that for about a year on a Raspberry Pi. As an alt OS for the Raspberry Pi Win10 is great, but as a lifeline for M1 Mac owners I don't see the point: most Windows software requires Intel and so will fail to run. Any important software that can run on ARM will I'm sure have been ported to run on MacOS natively.