Unexpected kernel mode trap when trying to run virtualbox on latest 20221 windows insider build

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
h72837

Unexpected kernel mode trap when trying to run virtualbox on latest 20221 windows insider build

Post by h72837 »

hi i tried asking in the windows italian community
https://answers.microsoft.com/it-it/win ... 49e54536a1
for help (green screen kernel fault) but after some troubleshooting they told me to try asking here
i installed the latest 20221 w10 insider build on my pc yesterday. it was a clean install (i formatted the hard disk)
the only program i've installed is virtualbox
i also uninstalled virtualbox with revo portable app and ran the advanced cleaning feature (which removes registry keys and other leftovers) and then reinstalled it
i first tried with a w8.1 installation image, then with a w10 image then i tried running clonezilla. grub menu shows up but after that i get the same green screen i got when i tried to run the windows images
in the windows insider forum thread i created i also included windows minidump logs and vbox hardening logs
Attachments
VBox(1).log
(76 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
VBox.log
(80.51 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by h72837 on 30. Sep 2020, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unexpected kernel mode trap when trying to run virtualbox on latest 20221 windows insider build

Post by scottgus1 »

I moved this to the Insider Previews forum, where these traps have been mentioned and possibly a workaround exists.

Insider Previews aren't officially supported by Virtualbox.
Berda17

Re: Unexpected kernel mode trap when trying to run virtualbox on latest 20221 windows insider build

Post by Berda17 »

scottgus1 wrote:I moved this to the Insider Previews forum, where these traps have been mentioned and possibly a workaround exists.

Insider Previews aren't officially supported by Virtualbox.
Hello scottgus1,

Where are the insider forums? I can't seem to find them.

Thanks!
ggbce

Post by ggbce »

Hi,

I found you post... where I submit the same problem few hours ago on a new post.

In my case, I use the Windows 10 Insider (build: 20226) for my host machine. Tester with many VMs (Windows, Linux, x86/x64) and I always got a bluescreen of my host machine when I try to start a VM. Let me known if you got more information to have a fix !
Stelotex

Post by Stelotex »

I too I'm apart of the Windows Insider Preview program, and after updating to the latest build 20226 build, i was surprised when i started getting the bluescreen message each time i open my Kali Linux. And it has been bugging me since but i didn't want to do a downgrade of windows because all my app will clear, so i went online to search for possible results, but the solutions given were in the year 2015, 2017 and 2018 which were not helpful at all. Then today October 21st, when i was going through the Feedback Hub provided by Microsoft, under the quest, they said that i should try and run a command on Command Prompt/Power Shell(run as administrator) which was

"wsl.exe --install" (requires internet to install)

upon doing it you will notice in the process that says "installing virtual environment" then when the installation is complete, reboot your PC, then you can run any virtual machine again. After this the blue screen won't show again
Thanks for your patience, i read this post 6 days after it was published and ever since it happened to me I've been trying to look for the solution by every means just to share knowledge. I hope this solution works for you.