Win10 Build 18908 USB workaround for those that need it

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
Bryant

Win10 Build 18908 USB workaround for those that need it

Post by Bryant »

Yes unselecting the usb option is the only way to install without failing. But i have been able to install the usb manually from extracting the the stock exe and then after that is done, I have extracted the 64bit msi using 7zip. All this goes to the %TEMP% folder btw. Then cd to the newly created msi extraction directory and run powershell from within that directory with this command "Dir | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.name -replace "file_","" }" without the quotes. It removes the "file_" from all the files that have that name. Then from there to make it easier to work with delete everything that is not a .inf, .cat, or a .sys file. If you dont need to delete the files then just rename "VBoxUSB_W10.cat" to "VBoxUSB.cat" and "VBoxUSBMon_W10.cat" to "VBoxUSBMon.cat". After that just right click on every .inf file and click install. This is most likely not needed but i was also have trouble with the network adapter and this fixed it as well. For just the usb to work you just need to right click and install from these two files. "VBoxUSB.inf" and "VBoxUSBMon.inf"

I'm pretty sure that is all that is needed. Worth mentioning i am also running test mode on my insider preview with full sdk, wdk, visio studio 2017 installed. Dont think that matters as the .cat files were signed.