Error Code: Windows 10 v. 1903 and VB 6.0.6, Debian VM

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
circiter

Error Code: Windows 10 v. 1903 and VB 6.0.6, Debian VM

Post by circiter »

I get the following error message:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Debian.
Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I am trying to configure a Debian VM on my Windows rig.
I am running Windows 10 (v. 1903, Build 18362.53) which is an insider preview. I have found some other threads in which insider builds are assumed to be incompatible with the latest, stable VB release. However I couldn't find a definite answer, nor any mention of this specific build. Somehow, I don't believe I am the only person with this issue. I have downloaded VB 6.0.7 but haven't yet installed it, since I don't want to be on betas all over, unless I learn that it will work.

Is there a known compatibility issue? I've run Linux VMs in the past without ever seeing this error.

C
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Error Code: Windows 10 v. 1903 and VB 6.0.6, Debian VM

Post by andyp73 »

This topic has its very own thread. Did you read through it as it has the current collective wisdom on the topic.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Windows 10 version 1903 build 1832.53 is in fact the release candidate, and will be released shortly (unless some problems are found in testing). It works properly with VirtualBox (which is not a surprise to me as the previous beta versions did too). I do not have a debian gues but ubuntu 18.04 x64 installs with no problem.
ubuntu.PNG
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... view-ring/
Bill
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

BillG wrote:Windows 10 version 1903 build 1832.53 is in fact the release candidate, and will be released shortly (unless some problems are found in testing).
Is that the one that includes the feature that randomly reassigns drive letters or won't upgrade with external disk devices connected? See The Register: Windows 10 May 2019 Update thwarted by obscure tech known as 'external storage'

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Yes, but as the article says, that will not block the rollout to other users. It is already available on MSDN.

The error message the OP has is the same as this one (probably for the same reason).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92805
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sorry Windows insiders, but until the time that there's a public ISO for anyone to download, this is still a pre-release, moving it to the appropriate area...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
azimut

Post by azimut »

I have the same issue, it is official MSDN distributive:

Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Do you want to repair this issue only after your topics will be crowded by such error?
Be reactive!
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There is no point in trying to persuade us: this is a user to user forum, we are not VBox developers, so we are no more capable of "being reactive" regarding this than you are.
azimut

Post by azimut »

sorry for unclear,

most likely, the VirtualBox Developers are here, and they will come with some solutions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I said, don't expect any solutions until this thing goes public. You may get a VirtualBox version that's working (most probably a test build), but not an official one until it's officially out. No point in crying/begging/yelling/putting psychological pressure...

Heck, some things aren't supported even after they're long released. Case in point OSX 10.14 as a guest. It will be supported when it will be supported.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
david808

Post by david808 »

same problem. I cannot get Kali Linux working on VirtualBox running on Windows 10 b1903. The advice is conflicting here. VB itself is telling me to ensure that Hyper-V is running, and people here are telling me to make sure it is not running. This is a real head-scratcher. I think the developers are trying though. The progam tells you when there is a conflict or problem with little hints that pop up. I am eager to get it working though.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

david808 wrote:VB itself is telling me to ensure that Hyper-V is running
Can I see some evidence for that statement please?

PS. BTW, don't call it "VB", it reminds me of "Visual Basic", utterly insulting! ;)
Call it VirtualBox, or if you're really bored of typing, VBox...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Locking this, as it tends to attract people that have the official 1903 now that it's out. No more meaning in having a discussion in the Pre-Releases area.