18305+Sandbox+6.0 could actually peacefully co-exist?

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
rseiler

18305+Sandbox+6.0 could actually peacefully co-exist?

Post by rseiler »

Does this:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... a-p/301849

Plus this:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

"Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance"

Possibly mean that 18305+Sandbox+6.0 would actually peacefully co-exist?!
Jacob Klein

Re: VirtualBox success reports on Windows 10 Insider builds

Post by Jacob Klein »

You picked this thread to ask that question? You might start a new thread for it.

[ModEdit: "jacob Klein" is talking about the VirtualBox success reports on Windows 10 Insider builds thread, where the posts were split from]
rseiler

Re: VirtualBox success reports on Windows 10 Insider builds

Post by rseiler »

Yes. It's going to directly bear on success reports as soon as tomorrow. Plus, it's pretty much the only thread in a ghost town.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 18305+Sandbox+6.0 could actually peacefully co-exist?

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:You might start a new thread for it.
Did it on behalf of "rseller", posts split, thread got a new name. ;)
rseiler wrote:Plus, it's pretty much the only thread in a ghost town.
Well, it's not that difficult to open a new thread. All you need is an application form, in 3 original copies (notarized of course), a blood sample and a set of fingerprints and toe-prints. All 20 of them! In case you're missing one or two (or you have extras), a doctor's exam and an X-ray.

Or you can simply press the "NewPost" button on the top of the thread list, instead of the "Reply" button in an existing, highly specific thread... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

socratis,

Thanks for moving to separate thread. Do you have any answers to his question(s)?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No, I don't unfortunately... 1) I'm on OSX, 2) I'm not in the Win Insider program, and 3) I've never tried Sandbox.

Instead of asking if anyone has tried it or has the answers, what's stopping you from trying it out yourself? Just out of curiosity...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

In the document (released hours ago), one of the prerequisites is:
"Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise build 18305 or later"

Windows 10 Insiders currently only have 18298.

An updated build will probably be released this week, but even then, I'm not going to be testing this Sandbox functionality. If you recall, I have "long running VMs", some at 300 or 400 days, of RNA Analysis that I don't want to risk losing. So, there's a fine line between what I can and shouldn't test. This falls into the "shouldn't" category, for me.

Can anyone else help rseiler?
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I'll try it, or hear about the results, most likely.

It depends on the interpretation of:

"Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance"

So perhaps it will work, with either Hyper-V or Sandbox (which uses it) enabled, but at a performance cost for...one or the other?
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

It turns out that one sentence in release notes is not enough to go on, because what I had in mind doesn't work, at least here.

What you see below is what I get when launching a previously-working VM using VB6 on a host system (18305) where I just enabled Windows Sandbox (and rebooted). For good measure, Sandbox doesn't launch, either.
WHvCreatePartition failed with E_ACCESSDENIED (Last=0xc0000022/5) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).
VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I located this in the latest version of the manual, p.256:
9.34 Using Hyper-V with Oracle VM VirtualBox
Oracle VM VirtualBox can be used on a Windows host where Hyper-V is running. This is an experimental feature.

No configuration is required. Oracle VM VirtualBox detects Hyper-V automatically and uses Hyper-V as the virtualization engine for the host. The CPU icon in the VM window status bar indicates that Hyper-V is being used.

Note: When using this feature, you might experience significant Oracle VM VirtualBox performance degradation on some host systems
So, maybe it's not seeing this as Hyper-V per se, and so not working, since what we're really doing is enabling a closely-related feature that's in turn using Hyper-V (as opposed to directly enabling Hyper-V)?