VT-x Problems on Intel Laptop (Hyper-V deinstalled and deactivated)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
Robb_Stark

VT-x Problems on Intel Laptop (Hyper-V deinstalled and deactivated)

Post by Robb_Stark »

Hi,

I have a VirtulalBox Ubuntu-VM provisioned with vagrant on an external SSD to use it on Laptop and Desktop. The windows pro version is insider preview 17074, which I get this weekend in the slow ring. Both machines have the same windows environment. Hyper-V not installed and disabled like mentioned in all the tutorial in the web.

Now I encounter the following problem. On Desktop Ryzen 1700X the VM starts well with vagrant up.
On Laptop Intel 7200U the VM does not start with this error:

Code: Select all

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)
error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole
Of course VT-Technology is enabled in BIOS and the VM ran well a few days ago. Nothing changed, but windows version.

What I tried:
Rollback to 17024 -> no change
Reinstall VBox -> no change
Install dev-version VBox -> no change
clean install of 17024 -> no change
after inplace upgrade to 17074 -> no change

Is there maybe a problem with the Meltdown/Spectre-Patch which is only activated on Intel-Machines in version 17074? On AMD-Machines the patch isn't activated.

Are there any suggestions from you?

Thanks in advance

Robb
Last edited by Robb_Stark on 22. Jan 2018, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
DMRouns

Re: VT-x Problems on Intel Laptop (Hyper-V deinstalled and deactivated)

Post by DMRouns »

same thing here. MS Win10 did major update to 17074. and now I get same error. also noticed that all of the 64BIT options are gone (from Vbox). - moreover; checked and Win Hyper-V did not turn itself back on so, that's not it. and using a Surface Laptop i5-7300U - i updated to latest VBox 5.2.6 r120293(Qt5.6.2)
Robb_Stark

Post by Robb_Stark »

I notice problems with VMWare, too. VMWare shows problems with the device-guard. None of the mentioned tips and tricks from the internet worked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving from "Windows Hosts" to "Windows pre-release Hosts".

After making 110% sure that Hyper-V is disabled in the Windows Features, you might want to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled and do a cold boot (i.e. shut down the host for a minute or two). You also must make sure that nothing else is using Hyper-V, things like antivirus, debuggers, emulators, etc. Check out the articles "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" and "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" to get some ideas...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Robb_Stark

Post by Robb_Stark »

Thank you Socratis for your suggestion. I followed the steps on my intel laptop.

Disable Hyper-V and be sure about it.
Disable Fast-Boot.
Disable Device-Guard

Doing a cold boot.

-> Still having: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Edit: Also removed battery for a while -> same error
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I would let the developers take a look at it then. New build, new $#*(, new bugs. That's how it goes...

PS. I thought you died at your wedding! Only your mom survived, even with a few... scratches :D
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Robb_Stark

Post by Robb_Stark »

So, it seems to be, Socratis!

Greetings to my favourite holyday country!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Some months ago there were reports where the user had to enable and disable Hyper-V to really disable it after a pre-release update, even when there was no check mark in the feature box.
Did you already try something similar?
georgn

Post by georgn »

I'm here as a me too. This weekends pre-release broke virtualbox :(

And, as it turns out, I did actually try to install and uninstall Hyper-V because I wasn't completely sure the command line to do it was doing anything (you can run it again and again, and it never looks different -- I would have expected at least some kind of "dude, it's not installed!")

And yes, I disabled fastboot, tried the longmode thing, etc.
georgn

Post by georgn »

So I was desperate (I had important work on my Linux VM)...

I downloaded and installed vmware and tried running another vm that I had previously exported. It also failed to start but they helpfully pointed me at U.R.L. suppressed cause I haven't been a member long enough (sigh). So instead, google this:

Powering on a vm in VMware Workstation on Windows 10 host where Credential Guard/Device Guard is enabled fails with BSOD (2146361)

After following the recipe there, vmware started working so I went back and tried virtualbox et voila, I have my VM back!

Hope that helps somebody.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

DeviceGuard = VT-x. So it's not surprising that having it on blocks other tools which want to use VT-x. Yes, it's confusing, but you'd really have to ask Microsoft why it's done this way.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sometimes I wonder why I bother to post links if they're not read... :shock:
socratis wrote:Check out the articles "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" and "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" to get some ideas...
Well, guess what! In the first article, right at the bottom, it says:
2. On some Windows hosts with an EFI BIOS, DeviceGuard or CredentialGuard may be active by default, and interferes with OS level virtualization apps in the same way that Hyper-v does. These features need to be disabled.
:roll:
Robb_Stark

Post by Robb_Stark »

@georgn: I tried this workaround from VMWare a couple of days ago. For me this recipe won´t work. :( Nor with VirtualBox neither with VMWare. Of course I didn't get a BSOD, but a dialogbox when starting VMWare with the link to this page. After processing the steps shown there, VMWare shows the same dialogbox again.

Still looking forward for a working non-Hyper-V-VM on Intel Hosts with Windows 10 (17074).
georgn

Post by georgn »

@socratis

I feel your pain. I have worked support myself for a long time.

I have 20+ years of *nix experience and I really hate that I am forced to use Windows now. I hadn't heard of this *Guard BS until today. I did read your posts but those labels meant nothing to me at the time.

Sorry to have added to your frustration but you're doomed :wink: There will always be somebody new coming along that doesn't know what you know.
jimi2shoes

Post by jimi2shoes »

Just a question here - Oracle is suggesting that we lower/remove security features inbuilt into Windows 10 to have Virtual Box working?
2. On some Windows hosts with an EFI BIOS, DeviceGuard or CredentialGuard may be active by default, and interferes with OS level virtualization apps in the same way that Hyper-v does. These features need to be disabled.