VT-x Problems on Intel Laptop (Hyper-V deinstalled and deactivated)

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: VT-x Problems on Intel Laptop (Hyper-V deinstalled and deactivated)

Post by erdeslawe »

Microsoft itself also advises that these in-house "security features", if activated in Windows, are are incompatible with some software and hardware: See the Warning box on this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... vice-guard. So that seems to make it clear to me that users of incompatible hardware and software will have a choice to make.

Not all Windows Versions have this protection, but the only advice I've seen here is that if a Windows User wants to install and make use of VirtualBox they will have to disable Device Guard and Credentials Guard (if they are activated). It's then the user's choice, which is far from 'suggesting' that security measures have to be lowered. It's just highlighting the (current) incompatibilities in the same way that Microsoft does.

The choice remains the User's. If they have access to, and want to activate those Windows security features, they will have to forego using any and all incompatible software and hardware, which, includes currently VirtualBox; and probably any other virtualisation software.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

DeviceGuard and CredentialGuard practically moves your Windows OS into a VM using Hyper-V technology.
So that precludes the use of any software which doesn't work in a VM because when it needs full access to hardware virtualization.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jimi2shoes wrote:Oracle is suggesting that we lower/remove security features inbuilt into Windows 10 to have Virtual Box working?
Actually, it's Microsoft that is using exclusively a feature (VT-x) that can be made to be shared, thus blocking every other virtualization program out there. I'd say that you need to lobby/complain to MS so that they play nice.

And yes, the solution exists:
  • step #1: enter VT-x exclusive,
  • step #2: execute privileged code,
  • step #3: exit VT-x exclusive.
Microsoft never makes it to step #3 because entering/exiting will hurt performance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.