Build 16251.rs3_release.170721 - VirtualBox crash on start - what should I do?

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
Romik

Build 16251.rs3_release.170721 - VirtualBox crash on start - what should I do?

Post by Romik »

My Colleagues,

I never had any problem with the Virtual Box, so here is the first one that
really hit me hard: please advice.

The Ubuntu 16.04 image was working all the previous week with no problem
starting and stopping it, coding and installing stuff. Today it crashes on start with
the following error:

... on imgur: /4XMM7zN.png

The full log of the crash is in the attachment.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log
(113.95 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Last edited by socratis on 30. Jul 2017, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox crush on start - what should I do?

Post by mpack »

That's weird. Your hardening log says VirtualBox 5.1.22, but then so does mine, even though my VBox.log says 5.1.24. Also the date stamp on my hardening log was from May, even though I just ran the VM.

I'd guess perhaps VirtualBox doesn't write this log anymore, unless there's a problem.

Since the hardening log is useless I'll need to see your VBox.log - zipped please.
 Edit:  I had neglected to update my home PC to 5.1.26, so I just did, and this time a hardening log was created. I had also deleted the old hardening log, so perhaps the problem was with permissions. 
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What is your host OS, and when was it last updated?

Incidentally, this is not a "Using VirtualBox" question. Moving this topic to "Windows Hosts".
Romik

Post by Romik »

I'd guess perhaps VirtualBox doesn't write this log anymore, unless there's a problem.
The log is 100% from the VB instance
cause I was removing the logs each try.
What is your host OS, and when was it last updated?
I run win 10 64 bit, do you think the host OS is the
problem? I can find the build number..

*Updated:

that one:
Build 16251.rs3_release.170721 // and I think it is very possible it was auto updated on my comp several days ago.

** Updated:
Since the hardening log is useless I'll need to see your VBox.log - zipped please.
Sorry don't have any other logs, VBoxHardening.log is the only one

*** Updated:

Any new image I am trying to create and install gives me the same.

@mpack
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Romik wrote:Build 16251.rs3_release.170721
That's a Windows 10 pre-release, not a public release. Moving to "VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases" where it belongs, along with the rest of the alpha-Windows software issues. Changing the title as well to reflect that fact.

Unfortunately this version came out last week (2017-07-23) and there have been no test builds released since. Waiting for a fix in a new test build is your only option at this moment. Otherwise if this is crucial, you should get yourself out of the fast-ring.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Build 16251.rs3_release.170721 - VirtualBox crash on start - what should I do?

Post by socratis »

According to another report (in the thread just below yours), build 16251 seems to work as expected. You might want to compare notes...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Re: Build 16251.rs3_release.170721 - VirtualBox crash on start - what should I do?

Post by Jacob Klein »

According to the attachment in post #1, the problem is identical to the one in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=83732

The problem was fixed in VirtualBox v5.1.26.

Next time, if you're on a Windows 10 **Insider** build (which you are!), and having a problem, be sure to check this forum first:
viewforum.php?f=38
VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases

Regards,
Jacob
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Nice catch Jacob!

@Romik
Please double check that you've re-installed 5.1.26. Again if you don't mind...
Romik

Post by Romik »

Hello Guys,

Looks like upgrading to 5.1.26 version from here
virtualbox web site => /wiki/Downloads

solved it, and my images are back to live.

Thanks a lot.