Win10 Build 16237 - VMs fail to start - bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
Jacob Klein

Re: Win10 Build 16237 - VMs fail to start - bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll

Post by Jacob Klein »

bird wrote:Thanks for reporting this! We'll have a fix for this out early next week, I hope.
-bird
Thanks bird!
I'm hopeful for a v5.0.x fix too, as the result of that decision heavily affects my setups, but I'll absolutely understand either way.
In case you're curious why (or need inspiration), you might love this screenshot, showing that each of my 4 PCs still has 1 BOINC VM v"1.17" RNA World task, requiring v5.0.x VirtualBox or older, that has prevented me from upgrading to v5.1.x on any of the 4 PCs. Gotta love these monster tasks! :)
20170713 - Jacob Klein - RNA World Tasks.png
20170713 - Jacob Klein - RNA World Tasks.png (117.1 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:still has 1 BOINC VM v"1.17" RNA World task, requiring v5.0.x VirtualBox or older, that has prevented me from upgrading to v5.1.x on any of the 4 PCs.
And you keep them in the Win10 fast ring!!!
And you are asking for testbuilds of the unsupported 5.0.x VirtualBox!!!
WHY???
If you depend on something, you definitely don't have it on the "beta" of every software out there!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

When the Creators update went public, I still had a task that required 4.3.x that didn't work on it. So, even if I'm not running pre-release software, it's possible that I'll have a task requiring a version of VirtualBox that doesn't work with the released version of Windows. In that case, I had to "Defer Upgrades" (a feature in Windows 10 Anniversary Update) for a while, while using the Release partition, in order to get that task done, before upgrading the PC. To me, that's not too much different than the scenario we have in this thread.

Oh, and why keep them in the Fast ring? Because I'm a tester, helping Microsoft to test their software, and helping Oracle test their software.
You must not understand my passion for testing :) If I could be running the test versions of VirtualBox right now, I would.

PS: Right now, the 4 triple-booting PCs, are now booting up to Slow ring partitions. ie: I've already taken preliminary action, and will continue to crunch while taking necessary action.
Last edited by Jacob Klein on 13. Jul 2017, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Great to hear.

(No surprise, but 16241 didn't change anything.)
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Right. I confirm that Build 16241 (released today) makes VirtualBox have the same problems as post 1 in this thread.
sniem

Post by sniem »

Confirmed, problems persist with Insider build 16241. Happy to hear an update is coming soon - and I hope I won't have to reinstall my existing VMs ;)

PS: I hope you make sure that using Windows Server 2016 Insider build 16237 could be used as host or guest OS :)
boredog

Post by boredog »

Will it be posted here when the new build comes out?
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Oracle VirtualBox Test builds are posted here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
I'd recommend checking daily.

Also, subscribing to this thread will likely be useful, as users might download the test build to report success/failure.
boredog

Post by boredog »

On other forums I can subscribe pretty easy and am sent e-mail anytime a reply is made to a thread I subscribe to. I am however not finding the subscribe tab in this forum.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

boredog wrote:On other forums I can subscribe pretty easy and am sent e-mail anytime a reply is made to a thread I subscribe to. I am however not finding the subscribe tab in this forum.
Did you try Edit > Find > Subscribe ? Ctrl+F does wonders too. If you are find-incapable, then the "Subscribe topic" link is at the bottom left.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

boredog wrote:On other forums I can subscribe pretty easy and am sent e-mail anytime a reply is made to a thread I subscribe to.
You are automatically subscribed to a thread if you post on one. You are not automatically set up to receive e-mails. You have to do this from the User Control Panel » Board preferences » Edit posting defaults » Notify me upon replies by default.

I remember that I proposed to change it so that "Yes" would be the default for all new users, but the admins told me that people were complaining. C,est la vie...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Also, just a heads up.. "Notify me upon replies by default:" is a "Yes" "No" option, in User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit posting defaults.
Mine is set to "No".
So, it is possible to not be automatically subscribed to a thread.

I always just check to see if "Subscribe" in on the thread's page, and click "Subscribe" to Subscribe. C'est ma vie.
Then I get emails when that thread gets replies.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:You are automatically subscribed to a thread if you post on one.
Jacob Klein wrote:So, it is possible to not be automatically subscribed to a thread.
Those two do not contradict each other. What you're doing is to selectively subscribe to a thread where you have or haven't posted yet. Problem/question with 'boredog' was that although they had already participated to a thread, they weren't notified for updates.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

With that setting set to "No", I am not automatically subscribed to threads that I reply to.
We're probably saying the same thing.
apinto

Post by apinto »

Any update on this?

I made the mistake pf updating to 16241 and now I cannot even rollback to 16232... My bad I know :)

Cheers!