Win10 Build 16237 - VMs fail to start - bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Win10 Build 16237 - VMs fail to start - bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll

Post by michaln »

Jacob Klein wrote:Still hoping for an answer on this.. Can we get confirmation? I presume the answer is "v5.0.x will NOT be updated."
Not sure what confirmation you expect. "VirtualBox 5.0 (no longer supported, support ended 2017/05)" should be sufficient? Or if you aren't going to believe what the official site says, why would you believe anything else? :)
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I'm not being rude, or non-believing. Just seeking clarification, because..

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with a similar issue we had when a Windows 10 change broke VirtualBox, after official support ended for VirtualBox 4.3.x .
Basically, bird *did* release an "untested 4.3.41" test build r112025!
See this thread's post, and the couple posts after it:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=80701&start=30#p378731

So, was highly curious if we might see a 5.0.x build released with a fix for this current thread's problem... since, as I explained earlier, I have long-running VM tasks that depend on v5.0.x, and have started to take precautions to make sure they do not fail.

It takes patience on my end, to not ask the same question too frequently, when no answer is provided. I will continue to be patient, while I wait for that confirmation.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

The post-EOL 4.3.x releases need to be viewed as an exception, not the rule.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I *am* viewing it as the exception.... as I said multiple times in this thread, I'm expecting the answer to be "There will be no updates to v5.0.x". But was asking for official clarification of whether a v5.0.x update will be released or not.

:) Maybe you can't tell, but your answers are frustrating, and do not answer the question I'm asking.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

The only answer you will get is that you won't get any answer beyond what's already been published. If you were expecting more... please don't.

Based on the available information, the obvious conclusion is that waiting for 5.0.x updates is futile.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I heard you basically say "Please don't ask". Fair enough, I'll stop asking. I think that's also an answer I was expecting.
thomaschang

Post by thomaschang »

Hello there VirtualBox masters. My mistake on asking the same question as this thread in the VBox-users mailing list.
To prevent controversies, why not add a feature like OS 'definition' database so we can keep VirtualBox from malware WINDOWS threats (oops.) :lol:

Well, mine is Win10 Home 16299 now. I think this one has gone too beyond. If new 5.1.x or 5.2.x builds failed to start my existing VMs in the coming hours, it is inevitable to migrate them to VMWare Workstation Player. Speechless now.

UPDATE: Gladly it works.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I'm glad it worked for you.

Next time, please be a bit more considerate, and not dig up old threads (like this one - "Win10 Build 16237 - VMs fail to start - bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll") which are completely unrelated to your suggestion or problem.

The moderators and I try really hard to make sure that we know about any VirtualBox issues on Windows 10 Insider builds, and that those issues get fixed before that version of the OS gets released to the general public. You're welcome to help out in that regard (i.e.: Be a Window Insider and continue posting here in the "VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases" forums), or you can stick to public releases (which should generally work just fine).

Kind regards,
Jacob Klein
Last edited by socratis on 29. Oct 2017, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
ceco

Post by ceco »

Hello just wanted to say that I had this problem today (Windows 10 - bcrypt.dll) wjth VB 5.1.22 and moving to VB 5.1.30 just solved the problem.
Thank you so much Guys
WallyJ

Post by WallyJ »

@Toup,

I tried your suggestion. I checked Hyper-V which is not set.

I unsinstalled VirtualBox.
Restarted
Reinstalled VirtualBox
Tried to add the Host-Only Adapter and it failed with the same error.

Any more suggestions?
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

WallyJ:

Did you really necromance this thread? Interesting.

What OS Version are you using? It's currently recommended to either be using 16299 (latest Release build), or 17025 (latest Slow Ring build), or 17063 (latest Fast Ring Build).

What version of VirtualBox are you trying? It's currently recommended to either be using 5.2.4 (latest 5.2.x release), 5.1.30 (latest 5.1.x release).

Finally, what is the exact error you are getting? Does it mention bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll? Because that's what this thread is about, and the issue was resolved in the release of VirtualBox 5.1.24, in July 2017.

Regards,
Jacob
WallyJ

Post by WallyJ »

My apologies Jacob. I was searching for my error message and found the post I responded to.

Should have paid better attention to the dates. Here's the answers. Thanks for responding. I am completely stuck and unable to develop at this point.

Windows Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.125
VirtualBox Version Version 5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.2)
Error Message when trying to create Host-Only Adapter via Global Tools->Host Network Manager->Create (not created on install):

Failed to create a host network interface.

Querying NetCfgInstanceId failed (0x00000002).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: HostNetworkInterfaceWrap
Interface: IHostNetworkInterface {455f8c45-44a0-a470-ba20-27890b96dba9}

I can start a new thread if that would be better, again, apologize for hijacking/necromancing/epicfailing :)

Appreciate your help! I have to get my development environment up and running.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

WallyJ wrote:I can start a new thread if that would be better, again, apologize for hijacking/necromancing/epicfailing :)
That's not the problem. The problem is that your issue has nothing to do with this thread. Please start a new thread, because your other post is in an irrelevant thread as well.

Also, consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this, but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WallyJ

Post by WallyJ »

Again, thanks for your timely response.

I have found a number of results about this issue and have tried some of the proposed fixes, to no avail.

I have also used these forums as a search engine and haven't found an answer to the supposedly wide spread and solved issue.

I will post a new thread. Thanks.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Thanks WallyJ for your consideration and politeness, as you learn/attain better forum etiquette.
This forum, "VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases", is actually for Windows pre-release "Insider" builds, which you aren't running.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your quest. No problem is unsolveable. You'll solve it, I'm sure.