Win10 Build 16237 - VMs fail to start - bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
Toup

Re: Win10 Build 16237 - VMs fail to start - bcrypt.dll and bcryptprimitives.dll

Post by Toup »

Having the same issues here. I subscribed to Insider right before 16237 build, came back from weekend, got updated twice in a row to 16237 and then 16241.

VMs not starting, build rollback takes me to back to 16237 where it doesn't work aswell.

Anyone found a temp workaround or a working test/dev build of vb to make vms start ? Kinda in a stucked situation here.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Your workaround is to reinstall a non-Insider build.

I setup triple boot (3 partitions of Windows installs), on all 4 of my PCs ... Fast / Slow / Release ... so I can readily switch to using a non-Fast partition in cases such as this. I recommend setting that up, if you're an Insider using VirtualBox.

PS: Oracle hinted that they may fix this problem later this week, with a Test Build of VirtualBox.
So be sure to monitor: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Toup

Post by Toup »

Thanks for the fast reply.

I've been kinda reckless about the insider program (Got baited by "Ubuntu on windows store" thing), and as such did it on my only windows partition. I guess it could have been way worse anyways, i'll set up proper multi-boot and it'll serve as a lesson I guess.

I've been monitoring the test builds page for a new one, thanks for pointing out. Hopefully guys at Oracle will solve this pretty fast and I can get back to using my dev VM. Silly me for putting work-related stuff in jeopardy by using unstable tools.

Is release "stable only" channel as far as insider builds go (as in, is it "as safe" as having a partition with insider program fully disabled) ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Toup wrote: I've been kinda reckless about the insider program (Got baited by "Ubuntu on windows store" thing)
If that's the feature I'm thinking about (Windows 10 Bash Shell letting you use most Ubuntu cmd line tools on Windows), that was available as a separate free download anyway for all Win10 users - you didn't have to install an insider build of Win10 just to get that.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

You're welcome.

There actually is a 3rd Insider PC ring, called Release Preview, that I do not use.

For me, my Release partitions are just fully patched Release versions, running CB (Current Branch), and NOT enrolled into Windows Insider via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program.

I routinely run Fast as daily driver, until VirtualBox's process hardening logic trips up on a build. Then I move to Slow, or Release if needed even, until Oracle fixes it.

Setting up triple boot was a one-time pain, that has paid off greatly over the past year.
boredog

Post by boredog »

I used my USB 3 256 gig bootable That I created with Marcrium Reflect to go back to the last known version that worked with VB. I keep three versions on it at all times.
I am still looking forward to a new patch to start using insider builds again.
Toup

Post by Toup »

mpack wrote:If that's the feature I'm thinking about (Windows 10 Bash Shell letting you use most Ubuntu cmd line tools on Windows), that was available as a separate free download anyway for all Win10 users - you didn't have to install an insider build of Win10 just to get that.
It kinda is (I had the "bash on ubuntu on windows" thing running), but this one is a full fledged ubuntu running on the WSL (see : can't post link due to new account but googling "msdn blog command line" should take you to it). Just wanted to try that :)

Thanks Jacob for the clarifying the release thing. I'll probably do that soon enough when I get an extra SSD or two
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Absolutely! I love the Fast Ring features, but also require VirtualBox to work so I can complete long-running BOINC VM tasks :)Triple-boot FTW!
Rossi88

Post by Rossi88 »

Please fix the bug. I cannot start my virtual machines!!
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Rossi88 wrote:Please fix the bug. I cannot start my virtual machines!!
Windows 10 Previews are not a good solution, if you really need some Software daily. So be patient or reinstall a Windows final, not a Preview.
sniem

Post by sniem »

Bug gone with latest release VirtualBox 5.1.24 on my Insider 16241 with Win10 Pro x64.
Thanks for the quick fix.
Rossi88

Post by Rossi88 »

stefan.becker wrote:
Rossi88 wrote:Please fix the bug. I cannot start my virtual machines!!
Windows 10 Previews are not a good solution, if you really need some Software daily. So be patient or reinstall a Windows final, not a Preview.
Normally I don't need VirtualBox daily, but unfortunately I had to in the last week... and I have no much time to do what I had to. That said, you are right, I was only not much lucky that's all.

However I confirm, Version 5.1.24 fix the problem I can start my virtual machine. Unfortunately the bug with the Host-only Networks (I cannot add them) is not fixed.
Just for information:
Querying NetCfgInstanceId failed (0x00000002).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
HostNetworkInterfaceWrap
Interface:
IHostNetworkInterface {455f8c45-44a0-a470-ba20-27890b96dba9}
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Oracle / bird:
Any chance for a 5.0.x fix, for the problem in post 1?
I ask for absolute confirmation, yes or no, as it greatly affects my workflow..

Thanks,
Jacob
Toup

Post by Toup »

sniem wrote:Bug gone with latest release VirtualBox 5.1.24 on my Insider 16241 with Win10 Pro x64.
Thanks for the quick fix.
I can confirm this new version fixed the issue for me aswell.

A million of kudos to the team for such a quick fix!

Nb : I had to adjust a couple settings for everything in my stack to work again but it's probably due to the various tries I did to try and fix my VM before I realised the issue was due to Virtualbox not working correctly on this build. If anyone struggles, things I did :
- Disabling Hyper-V as a windows feature (I enabled this to see if it would make things work)
- Uninstall Virtualbox, Reboot, Install virtualbox
- Make sure the virtualbox network adapters have the right driver (right click/prop on them, add if needed. Thoses were created without drivers for me cause of Hyper-V most likely)
- Upgrading Vagrant to latest version (and its plugins)

In the end, I had to rebuild my VM completely, but it's mostly due to screwing it up myself with the various vagrant save attempts.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Jacob Klein wrote:Oracle / bird:
Any chance for a 5.0.x fix, for the problem in post 1?
I ask for absolute confirmation, yes or no, as it greatly affects my workflow..

Thanks,
Jacob
Still hoping for an answer on this.. Can we get confirmation? I presume the answer is "v5.0.x will NOT be updated."