VirtualBox success reports on Windows Insider builds

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
Jacob Klein

Re: VirtualBox success reports on Windows 10 Insider builds

Post by Jacob Klein »

Windows 10 x64 Build 18362
Oracle VirtualBox v5.2.27 Test Build 129578
... works! :)
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Windows 10 x64 Build 18362
Oracle VirtualBox v5.2.27 Test Build 129666
... works! :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Hey Jacob, what happened to the 6.0.5 testing? I thought that the bug was fixed, no? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Well, v6.x only becomes easy for me to test, when a public version is released with the fix, and BOINC projects can support it. In the meantime, I can only easily and readily test 5.2.x.

By the way, did you ever re-test to see if the bug was fixed? I asked for your answer, here: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18212
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you tested it and confirmed it, why would you want another verification that "it works". Usually the verification is reserved for the "it fails" cases no? ;)

If you want me to test it so you can sleep safer at night, I will, just say it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Since you had a repro, yes I'd like you to test it also, to confirm the fix. Could you please, and post your result in that ticket? Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're killing me... :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jacob, tests done, no issues found with either 6.0.97 r129664, or 6.0.5 r129665. Ticket and "Known Issues" thread updated.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

socratis wrote:Jacob, tests done, no issues found with either 6.0.97 r129664, or 6.0.5 r129665. Ticket and "Known Issues" thread updated.
Thank you thank you thank you!
I can't wait to finally start promoting v6 when the next public release drops :)

PS: Where is that "Known Issues" thread? I can't seem to find it easily.
Maybe you mean this one, which is kinda old, and I had to dig deep to find, and isn't stickied.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90824
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:Thank you thank you thank you!
You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome! :)
Jacob Klein wrote:I can't wait to finally start promoting v6 when the next public release drops
Based on the bugs squashed from what I've been seeing in the test builds, it's going to be a really more stable one compared to the initial 6.0.0. Especially in the vGPU and in the saved-states front.
Jacob Klein wrote:PS: Where is that "Known Issues" thread? I can't seem to find it easily.
Yes, I should have linked it, sorry about that.

It's a first attempt in making the new, known issues documented. I tried to put the known issues in the thread where the issue first appeared. So far there are three: I don't think that having an overall "Known Issues" is feasible at this point, lots of work on my part. Plus it will in a sense replicating the "All open bug tickets" already there. Even if it's grouped by version, people don't always fill in the appropriate information. We'll see how it plays out...
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Thank you for the links. Please keep in mind that I may not be able to readily test v6, even upon its release, due to the nature of my main BOINC project not being able to update immediately. But I will for sure put some pressure on them to move forward.

Have a great weekend.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:I may not be able to readily test v6, even upon its release
What do you mean upon its release?

• 6.0.0 was released on 2018-12-18
• 6.0.2 was released on 2019-01-15
• 6.0.4 was released on 2019-01-28
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I meant that I will not be able to readily test v6 test versions, even after the fix is included in a public release like v6.6.
My long running tasks must use 5.2.x until the BOINC projects are updated to support issuing v6 tasks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey Jacob,
Since you have access to the insider builds (that we commoners don't), can you try something quickly? Can you enable the "Hypervisor Platform" (Windows Features) and try to simply run a fake VM? Does it work? Do you see the green tortoise (Image) instead of the usual purple-V (Image)?

We're trying to decipher if the error message in the thread "trying to run virtralbox" is simply because that feature is not enabled, or if something is fundamentally wrong with the next official Win10 release (1903 will it be called?). The OP is running 10.0.18362 which I know you have, you've tested and you've reported on it.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

The Windows Insider program is open to all. Anyone can join it via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program. If you are thinking of enrolling a Windows Install into it, I recommend have multiple Windows installs, with at least one of them staying on Release and not enrolled. I have 4 on my main rig. :)

I will attempt your test within a day or so, hopefully.

What is this talk about tortoise and V icons - Where will those show during my tests?