VirtualBox 5.1.10 fail on Win10 (14971): STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
mfelker
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Multiple

VirtualBox 5.1.10 fail on Win10 (14971): STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

Post by mfelker »

Virtualbox 5.1.10 fails on Insider Preview Build 14971.

Anybody else please confirm
Last edited by socratis on 27. Nov 2016, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change title from "Virtualbox 5.1.10 fail on Windows Insider Preview Build 14971" to "VirtualBox 5.1.10 fail on Win10 (14971): STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND"
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox 5.1.10 fail on Windows Insider Preview Build 14971

Post by socratis »

If you didn't read the first topic on this thread please do. It has almost the same title as yours. And 47 answers so far.

And in the future, please give more details. "Fails" isn't detailed enough...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mfelker

Re: Virtualbox 5.1.10 fail on Windows Insider Preview Build 14971

Post by mfelker »

See png attachment. Hope this helps
Attachments
Using MS Snipping tool
Using MS Snipping tool
Capture.PNG (13.7 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 5.1.10 fail on Win10 (14971): STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

Post by socratis »

1. I changed the title of the topic to more accurately reflect the situation.
  2. The "STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND" error message has been around for quite sometime. A quick search shows that there are several ways to try and fix it:
    • Uninstall/re-install VirtualBox. With right-clicking on the installer, "Run as Administrator", choosing NOT to run VirtualBox at the end of the installation.
    • Installing (again?) the "VBoxDrv.inf". Check out this thread (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66442) that reported a lot of successful cases, especially the instructions from "kpenrose".
  3. Maybe something is wrong with the specific build, but I doubt it, because there have been a lot of users that have been testing it. Try the above solutions and if they don't work, please report back. Actually, report back in any event, just so we know if and what fixed it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mfelker

Re: VirtualBox 5.1.10 fail on Win10 (14971): STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

Post by mfelker »

Yes. Installingg VB as administrator seems to have done the trick. Installleed Guest Additions sucessfully. I'm going to let this run for some time to see if other problem come up but all is well now. Post should be marked as fixed