Windows 10 Build 14942+ - VirtualBox fails to start

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Build 14942+ - VirtualBox fails to start

Post by socratis »

@Jacob Klein
Are you sure it's not the same report as the one from "soulraventnt"? I haven't seen a VBoxHardening.log, unless there is none created...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

It's very likely the same problem. rseiler and I create threads with appropriate names, and details, to track each Insider build's specific issue, and I think he should start the new thread.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well, the thing is that "soulraventnt" already created a thread (with a nice title if I may add). Stick to that one, because if "it's very likely the same problem", and you open a new thread, I'm going to have to delete it as duplicate, or merge it to the existing one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Okay.

I would consider making the title:
Windows 10 Build 14971+ - VMs fails to start

And also, I am not yet fully convinced this is something Oracle can't fix. But we'll make sure that Microsoft gets informed as well. :)

Thanks,
Jacob
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Jacob Klein wrote:I am not yet fully convinced this is something Oracle can't fix.
On the other hand, I'm not fully convinced that they should rush and fix it. Fix what? An invalid certificate on one of the core DLLs of the system? Add an exception? On a Win10 test build? That's going to be fixed in the next test build?

Do you know how many real bugs need their attention? Long existing bugs? Focusing on Win10 latest test builds only means that someone else is left behind (== not good). Find the problem, fix it, build it, takes time. And have it backwards compatible as well? Living on the edge has some drawbacks... ;)
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

We know, man. Please don't get us riled up. We are focusing very hard on: Identifying the issue for the community, informing the parties involved in fixing it, and tracking the issue for the community. We choose to live on the edge, we exhibit all the patience we can muster, and we understand the fixes take time.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm glad you know, man. No more explaining to do then. Let's focus on the issues and just the issues...
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Thank you. Sorry - I didn't mean to sound so informal there. Peace.