VBox Not working in Windows 10 Build 10525

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: VBox Not working in Windows 10 Build 10525

Post by michaln »

There has been no fix so far so no, there's no expected change in behavior. We have this on the todo list but it's simply too far down in priority. All you can do right now is tell Microsoft that VirtualBox matters to you and politely ask them to stop breaking it all the time.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I understand there has been no fix, and I'm glad it is on your todo list. But, because we can't open an Oracle VirtualBox ticket for an unsupported OS, we can't see "an announced fix" from a ticket. So, we're left testing new test versions, as our main means of seeing if it is fixed.

Let me put this another way:
When you do fix this issue, could you kindly announce it in this thread? If your answer is "Yes", then that would supply the "feedback" we need, to prevent unnecessary testing on our end, and unnecessary posts in your forums.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Yes, it will be mentioned here.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Thank you, michaln, for your understanding, and your commitment. We will be relying on that.

From here on out, I will still privately test newer Test builds, but will not report my results here, unless you indicated that we should expect a change in behavior.

If there's anything you'd want, like more details on the problem or testing for a fix, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again,
Jacob
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

We have some idea what the problem is. The bigger issue is that Microsoft is making fairly significant changes to how Windows is implemented, but at least as far as I know, there's no explanation of what they're doing, let alone why.

When something breaks in Linux, we can look at what changed in the source code and find the relevant kernel mailing list post explaining the reasoning behind it (however flawed). Keeping up with the changes is still work, but it's not an insane amount of work. With Windows 10 we don't know what changed or why, and investigating problems can take almost unlimited amount of time/effort.

IMHO Microsoft will either open source Windows or it will become too expensive to develop for it. So far it seems Windows 10 is successfully combining the worst of both worlds (high rate of change, closed development).
Jacob Klein

Virtualbox unable to open on Windows 10 Build 10532

Post by Jacob Klein »

A new Windows build was released to the Windows Insiders group, Build 10532. Since it is possible that an updated Windows build could fix the issue, and since we don't get feedback on Microsoft's fixes, I will be retesting new Windows builds as they are available.

Unfortunately, VirtualBox is still unable to open on Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 10532. Details below.

Oracle VirtualBox v4.3.31 Test Build 102328
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000018a29

Oracle VirtualBox v5.0.3 Test Build 102322
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000018fa9
necros2014

Post by necros2014 »

+1
regs

Post by regs »

Recent 2449 is broken as well.
TomL12953
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Commodore OS, Win 8

Post by TomL12953 »

michaln wrote:There has been no fix so far so no, there's no expected change in behavior. We have this on the todo list but it's simply too far down in priority. All you can do right now is tell Microsoft that VirtualBox matters to you and politely ask them to stop breaking it all the time.
Heh, heh. It seems to me it's up to third-party vendors to make sure their products work with Windows rather than the other way around. JMTC.

Tom L
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

TomL12953 wrote:Heh, heh. It seems to me it's up to third-party vendors to make sure their products work with Windows rather than the other way around. JMTC.

Tom L
That would be true if Microsoft didn't change their OS every ten minutes.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Venya

Post by Venya »

Every 10 minute?
VBox is not working from August 19 (2 weeks) when build 10525 was introduces to public beta testers. Probably this issue linked to new Windows memory compression technology (maybe not), but this change is for good!
This situation will not change without VBox developers effort, so they better fix application before Windows TH2 release will go to retail channel and 100% of the Windows user base will be lost.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I'm sure the loss of revenue from free users will cost them dearly. Do you really expect anyone to fix whatever issues there are in two weeks when they have to support multiple platforms? Or are Windows 10 users privileged?
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

I actually would prefer it to be written in such a way that it wouldn't be broken by changes that Microsoft makes.
But that's a different story.

Some of us are waiting as patiently as we can. I've even set up dual-boot partitions, across several machines, for the sole purpose of being able to run the Previews primarily, and to also run VirtualBox on the Windows 10 Release partition when I need to. VirtualBox is the only program I'm having a problem with, out of the ~40 programs that I use.

So, we will continue to wait. But we are frustrated. And we understand this is low on the priority list. Just please try not to antagonize us. Like I said.... already frustrated, but exerting much effort to remain patient.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Jacob Klein wrote:I actually would prefer it to be written in such a way that it wouldn't be broken by changes that Microsoft makes.
But that's a different story.
That would be impossible. The two main commercial hypervisors which claim to support Windows 10, one of which I own, still have their own issues.

I primarily run OSX hosts although I have a Windows 10 host machine as well. On one of my OSX hosts I'm running OSX 10.11 developer preview. Most programs run despite major changes, some don't. It is a perfectly normal state of affairs. It's just too bad some don't seem to understand that.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

As a software developer myself, I'm going to say that it is not impossible.

To my knowledge/understanding, the VirtualBox devs have written things in a way that is a bit ... fragile ... with each new Windows version. I suspect it is the process hardening functionality that is the main rub, but I do not know for sure. Chrome too, had some fragility with Build 10532, that they've fixed and decided to keep.

Regardless, yes it would be ideal if everyone knew the need to be patient. But the public has, for the first time really, been given "easy access" to these preview builds of Windows, and they come in with expectations that their programs will work. And they're happy when most do, but they don't easily understand when it doesn't work. Especially when only a couple have problems.

Frankly, I think it'd be better (for VirtualBox's reputation) if they did make it a priority. The public is seeing the pains of their code's fragility, firsthand.
But, based on the response of the community and the devs, over the past several months, it seems that we're lucky to even have this forum for discussion.

I've had to swallow my expectations, and must just wait as patiently as I can.