Explorer.exe seems to lockup when copying files from Ubuntu VM to Win10 host

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
LewJo

Explorer.exe seems to lockup when copying files from Ubuntu VM to Win10 host

Post by LewJo »

Hi there,
I have been experiencing this issue of when copying a file from an Ubuntu vm (recently upgraded to Hirsute from 20.10) to an smb share of my Windows 10 (x64 - 21354 build), tends to lockup any explorer window that i select first... I then have a lockup of any RDP sessions open, if i try select a different RDP tab, then remote desktop manager just locks up. The current open tab and rdp session is still live and usable.
The only way to get sorted, is to wait about 10 minutes, or, ssh to the ubuntu vm, and restart the vm. Doing a restart immediately releases the locked explorer window, as well as rdp open sessions.
Worth noting, that any other open explorer window, functions fine, i can copy/paste/rename files etc... the locked one stays locked until i perform any of the steps mentioned above.

My configuration of VirtualBox is as follows:
version: 6.1.18 (extension pack is also installed)
VM network config: Paravirtualised, Bridged Adapter, Realtek NIC
vm compute: 4CPU's, 8GB ram
Windows 10 - this is a brand new i9 10900K pc, was installed just 2 days ago... was experiencing the exact same issue on my old pc, i9 9900K CPU, that had various builds over time running on it, same issue.

This lockup happens when using other adapter types as well, i tried using Paravirtualised because my transfer speeds between the host and vm was terrible when using the other adapter types (2 - 50MBs) .. on PV, i get around 180MBs
Any advice on the networking?? (if i havent set it up correctly, feel free to bash me :D ...)

Also worth noting, that nothing appears in the event viewer when this happens as well!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!
thanks muchly!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Explorer.exe seems to lockup when copying files from Ubuntu VM to Win10 host

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry we didn't get to this sooner! I saw it but didn't have an idea how to fix it, and the Pre-Releases subforum can be missed. Per the forum's no-duplicates rule, I deleted your other post.

It sounds like your host is running a pre-release of Windows and having lock-up issues in a File Explorer window when copying files from an Ubuntu VM over an SMB shared folder. RDP also locks up.

First thing to test: is it the fault of the pre-release? Can you switch host drives, install official-release Windows (20H2 as of this list, no need to activate), native Windows network drivers if possible, and Virtualbox & your VM. See if the same issue happens?
LewJo

Re: Explorer.exe seems to lockup when copying files from Ubuntu VM to Win10 host

Post by LewJo »

Thanks Scottgus1
I will be dismantling my board (M.2 under huge heatsink on MSI MEG Z490 Godlike motherboard) ... i have a spare m.2 i can install 20H2 on. :)
Will get back to you in a few days time.