VM crashing when installing windows 10

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
KEA

VM crashing when installing windows 10

Post by KEA »

Whenever i try to run my vm i have it set to boot from the drive where it contains an windows 10 iso file. It should install from it. However it "Loading files" and after that crashes with weird graphical glitches. The message is saying i need to send provide 2 files which i have (Log file is too large apparently). If someone can help that will be appreacited. Thank you.

Host:
Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20246.fe_release.201024-2009 64-bit

VM:
Windows 10 iso file 32-bit
No virtulization because this old laptop doesnt support it
Attachments
Screenshot of the moment it crashed
Screenshot of the moment it crashed
VBox.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 11467 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VM crashing when installing windows 10

Post by BillG »

Hardware virtualization is required to run VirtualBox 6.1 . If you want to run a 32-bit guest without it, you will need to drop back to 6.0 or earlier. It has the emulation software required.

Odd decision to run Windows Insider builds on such an old PC.
Bill
KEA

Post by KEA »

BillG wrote:Hardware virtualization is required to run VirtualBox 6.1 . If you want to run a 32-bit guest without it, you will need to drop back to 6.0 or earlier. It has the emulation software required.

Odd decision to run Windows Insider builds on such an old PC.
Yeah I know... Im trying to make use of it as much as possible. And thank you for your help I will try to use an older version
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Never mind the PC hardware. I predict that a combination of latest Win10 insider build paired with old VirtualBox version - is not a combo you're going to enjoy.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Moving this to Windows Pre-releases, since the host OS is Insider Preview, which isn't officially supported.

Also, Windows 10 really likes 2 processors, and your host PC can't give the guest two processors, since there's no hardware virtualization available.

Log files fit when zipped.