Oracle VM Virtual Box 6.1 on Windows 10 Insider - Host Bluescreen

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
ggbce

Oracle VM Virtual Box 6.1 on Windows 10 Insider - Host Bluescreen

Post by ggbce »

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Windows 10 Insider host machine through latest Windows version (where the build number is: 20226 (DEV)).

My Oracle MV VirtualBox is updated to the latest version 6.1.14r140239.

When I try to start a VM (where the virtual machine is Windows Server 2019... and it was working fine before). The virtual BIOS start fine, I see half second the Windows logo during boot and my "HOST" machine get a bluescreen of the death (Now it's a greenscreen) and the error is: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.

It seem something is incompatible between new Windows 10 version and Oracle VM VirtualBox ?!?

Then I tried to start a brand new VM from scratch. Blank VM disk, insert DVD (ISO) to install Windows Server 2019... Same problem ! When the ISO try to load WS2019 my host crash on a bluescreen !

My host machine:
8 Go RAM
120 Go SSD + 500 GB HDD
Windows 10 Pro Insider Dev Channel (Build: 20226)

-----------------------

Please help me if someone known how to fix it ? Does it possible this is a known issue and a beta version of Oracle VM VirtualBox may help me ?
ggbce

Re: Oracle VM Virtual Box 6.1 on Windows 10 Insider - Host Bluescreen

Post by ggbce »

To ensure the issue is not linked to WS2019 VM only. I tested to create new VMs with another OS:

Debian 10 64-bit : New blank VM disk, Debian 10 ISO, VM BIOS boot, Debian 10 ISO graphical menu to start installation is displayed (BGrub Boot process seem to pass), Selecting any choice to boot = Bluescreen of the host machine !

Debian 10 32-bit : New blank VM disk, Debian 10 ISO, VM BIOS boot, Seeing 1/4 second ISOLINUX message, no time to access Install menu then... Bluescreen of the host machine !
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I moved this to the Windows Pre-releases subforum. Windows Hosts is for supported OS's, and Insider Previews are not supported.
msch

Post by msch »

Solution:

1. Open the "Windows-Feature" -activation/Deactivation Dialog.
2. Ensure that is activated:
a. Plattform for virtual Computer
b. Windows Hypervisor Plattform
3. Press OK and Reboot

In the Insider-Builds often those are deaktivated which causes the greenscreen
while starting an appliance.

Have an nice day -:)
ggbce

Post by ggbce »

Hi,

Just to folllow you properly, where do you go for the "Windows-Feature" (activation/deactivation) option ? A command-line, PowerShell command, an option in VM VirualBox or in a control panel ?