Win 10 Guest on Win 11 Host, high cpu usage after insider update 22621.160

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
1w4ncs

Win 10 Guest on Win 11 Host, high cpu usage after insider update 22621.160

Post by 1w4ncs »

Delphi Alexandria-2022-06-21-01-32-52.zip
VBOX Log File
(28 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Hi,

My host is Windows 11 with Windows Insider Beta Channel activated, before update 22621.160, I have no problem with my VMs, but just after I restart the computer to apply the Windows 11 Insider update 22621.160, I can't run my VM normally, that time I intalled VB 6.1.32, before the restart, I saved stated 2 of VMs, then after the restart, I tried to run the VM again, but it failed with message saying the wireless network that previously attached as a bridge to my wireless network not detected and it failed to start. I tried the other VM with the same result. I already tried to changed the network to connect with my other network card, but it also failed. So I tried to disable the network altogether but it is still the same. So I decided to install the 6.1.34 version without restarting the computer, but the error still coming, so I tried to restart my computer, now it doesn't show the error, but more horror is hapening, my VM can't run normally, when I open Session Information, the CPU usage is always 100%. After so many try and error, I can run the VM and get to the desktop, but it still very slow, and after checking task manager, the system interrupt is causing the cpu to high and also my antivirus program. And I still can't find any solution for this. And the worse part is that all of my VMs has the same symptoms even the one that did not started long time.

I have 2 VMs, here are the configurations before the update on both VMs:
- Windows 10 64 bit
- RAM : 4gb
- Processor : 2
- Enable 3D with 128 mb ram
- SATA drive set SSD to enable

After so many attempts to try the solutions, here are the configuration after the catastropic that work:
- RAM : 4gb
- Processor : 1
- Disable 3D with 16 mb ram
- SATA drive set SSD to disable

All VM run on SSD

Hope someone can help me on this problem, I think it has something with incompatibility between Win 11 host and VB
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win 10 Guest on Win 11 Host, high cpu usage after insider update 22621.160

Post by scottgus1 »

You did a lot of thrashing there, so things might be hopelessly broken, and it will be time to rely on your host disk image taken before the start of the whole update process.

This:
1w4ncs wrote:just after I restart the computer to apply the Windows 11 Insider update 22621.160, I can't run my VM normally, that time I intalled VB 6.1.32, before the restart, I saved stated 2 of VMs,
The saved states may not be compatible with the changes you tried, especially so after this:
1w4ncs wrote:So I decided to install the 6.1.34 version
At this point we have no idea how to help. But you could try right-clicking a VM and Discard the Saved State. Then try running the VM again. Please report what happens, without making any changes.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

And the Log of course contains the infamous lines:

Code: Select all

********************* End of CFGM dump **********************
00:00:03.665092 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.773055 NEM:  info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:03.773140 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
so Hyper-V has been re-activated if it was previously disabled. This is entirely to be expected when feature updates are applied to Windows (whether mainstream or Insider Builds) as those updates will seek to 'repair' a non-functioning (de-activated) previous Hyper-V installation.

Th usual action will be required to disable Hyper-V when running VirtualBox 6.1.34
1w4ncs

Post by 1w4ncs »

scottgus1 wrote:At this point we have no idea how to help. But you could try right-clicking a VM and Discard the Saved State. Then try running the VM again. Please report what happens, without making any changes.
When the first error happen, the discard button when enabled, I think it is already discarded and I can't discard it again, so right now, there is no save state
multiOS wrote:so Hyper-V has been re-activated if it was previously disabled. This is entirely to be expected when feature updates are applied to Windows (whether mainstream or Insider Builds) as those updates will seek to 'repair' a non-functioning (de-activated) previous Hyper-V installation.
I've check on the windows optional feature list in windows 11, after update this is the list :
Windows Optional Feature After Update
Windows Optional Feature After Update
VBOX1.png (51.06 KiB) Viewed 8227 times
I thought it need to be activated, so I checked both features, and still the same thing. Now I tried to redisabled it and tried to run the vm again, but still high CPU usage and work very slow, even on safe mode.

Any other suggestion please?

Thank you for your responses
1w4ncs

Post by 1w4ncs »

I see in the system information like this below
System Information
System Information
VBOX2.png (35.6 KiB) Viewed 8223 times
Do you think hyper-v still enabled here? How to turn it off? On windows optional feature, there is no Hyper-V

Thank you
1w4ncs

Post by 1w4ncs »

Another update, it is solved!!

So perhaps anyone else face the same problem, here is the culprit:

The culprit is "Virtualization-Based Security" In my system information, I found that my "Virtualization-Based Security" is enabled, and after checking what is it, I found an article with keyword how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11. It said that there might be a problem with gaming if this feature is enabled, it cause poor performance on the game, so I'm thinking that this might also cause the problem with my VM.

After I follow the article to disable the feature and restart it, my VM work as normal again, and then I remember that a few days ago, I happen to see what's new feature the Windows 11 insider offer, and one of them is the Memory Integrity, and when I read the description, well I thought it is a good feature, to protect the memory from malicious code, so I turn it off, and never restart the windows, I always set it to hibernate, until the windows update that I thought okay, it's time to break a moment and let windows restart and applied the update, then the horror come :D

Here is the Core Isolation configuration :
Core Isolation
Core Isolation
VBOX3.png (30.32 KiB) Viewed 8219 times
Well at least now it is working again, even though I lost a day of working hour, but at least now the problem solved

Thank you all for the responses, and hope this will also help other facing the same problem