Crash VirtualBox with Windows 11

For discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows pre-releases (e.g. Windows 10 > build 10240).
NV2

Crash VirtualBox with Windows 11

Post by NV2 »

Hi guys, I've just downloaded the last version of Windows which is Windows 11 and I have an issue with Virtualbox.
When I try to launch my VM, it just doesn't work and send me this message instead :

Failed to get device handle and/or partition ID for 00000000011bffe0 (hPartitionDevice=0000000000000d79, Last=0xc0000002/1) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED).

Code d'erreur :
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Composant :
ConsoleWrap
Interface :
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Just so you know, HyperV and Windows Sandbox aren't ticked and I've already downloaded the last version of oracle to see if it was the problem. Also, on Windows 10, it worked just fine.
Thank you in advance.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Crash VirtualBox with Windows 11

Post by mpack »

Is Windows 11 your host? Please note that Win11 is not yet a supported host.

That looks like an error due to having Hyper-v enabled on the host. Explicitly ticking the Hyper-v box is not the only way this gets enabled.

HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
NV2

Post by NV2 »

Well now that I've download Windows 11, which is not a supported host, what can I do?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't understand the question. What you do with your PC is entirely up to you.
joms

Post by joms »

Hi, just for anyone else that experiences this issue - what mpack said worked. Please follow the link he provided.

You just have to disable Hyper-V completely. On my end I only had to do step 3 and 4 and then restarted.
TomL12953
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Commodore OS, Win 8

Post by TomL12953 »

joms wrote:Hi, just for anyone else that experiences this issue - what mpack said worked. Please follow the link he provided.

You just have to disable Hyper-V completely. On my end I only had to do step 3 and 4 and then restarted.
In order to run Windows 11, Secure Boot must be enabled. In order to run Secure Boot, Hyper-V must be enabled. You can't run Win 11 without Hyper-V enabled, it seems.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

TomL12953 wrote:In order to run Secure Boot, Hyper-V must be enabled.
Completely wrong. Secure Boot is enabled and working on the Win10 PC I'm using right now, and I can assure you that Hyper-v is not.

Secure Boot is a feature of the BIOS, not of the OS. It ensures that only signed code can run, right from the boot stage. It has nothing whatever to do with Hyper-v. Other than signed boot code, I imagine the only practical requirement is a GPT partitioned hard disk, since you can't easily sign a boot sector.
KBE

Post by KBE »

TUVM,
I confirm, after uninstallation of HYPER-V, VirtualBox works agains.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Post by birdie »

mpack wrote:
TomL12953 wrote:In order to run Secure Boot, Hyper-V must be enabled.
Completely wrong. Secure Boot is enabled and working on the Win10 PC I'm using right now, and I can assure you that Hyper-v is not.

Secure Boot is a feature of the BIOS, not of the OS. It ensures that only signed code can run, right from the boot stage. It has nothing whatever to do with Hyper-v. Other than signed boot code, I imagine the only practical requirement is a GPT partitioned hard disk, since you can't easily sign a boot sector.
Clarification: signed ring-0 level code.
pe1uca

Post by pe1uca »

I had the same issue, a couple of weeks ago when my machine automatically updated to windows 11 during the weekend, first thing on Monday is to find out I can't work because of this.
None of the fixes among several posts helped, always the same error, so I downgraded to windows 10 (says you only have 10 days to do it)

But well, windows updates kept pushing me to install them, I also read some posts to prevent the update to windows 11, so today I tried to install the updates.
First of all, windows 11 was installed, I decided to give it a try and same error when trying to start my VM, I have some time so also decided to try and fix it.

I already had disabled the hypervisor and enabled the VM platform, so most things I did were not changing anything, I figure out maybe I needed to enable it and then disable it.

In "Windows Features" I checked "Windows Hypervisor Platform" and unchecked "Virtual Machine Platform", restarted, tried to run my VM expecting it to crash with the same error, but no, it worked.

So, here's my VM running showing the Windows Features settings
VM running showing Windows Features
VM running showing Windows Features
screenshot.2021-08-22 13.54.21-min.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 30135 times

And here's the output from

Code: Select all

DISM /Online /Get-Features
get-features
get-features
screenshot.2021-08-22 13.30.35.jpg (47.58 KiB) Viewed 30135 times
Defelper

Post by Defelper »

OMG. I have updated my Windows 10 to try the Windows 11 demo and ALL my VM's stopped. I have a work to tomorrow and I was desperated.

Then, I tried all youtube videos and none worked. And finally I found this post and read the comment from Pe1uca (the savior) and I think? Ahh I will try...

AND GUESS WHAT??? IT WORKS :D Thanks thanks a lot. <3
pe1uca wrote:I had the same issue, a couple of weeks ago when my machine automatically updated to windows 11 during the weekend, first thing on Monday is to find out I can't work because of this.
None of the fixes among several posts helped, always the same error, so I downgraded to windows 10 (says you only have 10 days to do it)

But well, windows updates kept pushing me to install them, I also read some posts to prevent the update to windows 11, so today I tried to install the updates.
First of all, windows 11 was installed, I decided to give it a try and same error when trying to start my VM, I have some time so also decided to try and fix it.

I already had disabled the hypervisor and enabled the VM platform, so most things I did were not changing anything, I figure out maybe I needed to enable it and then disable it.

In "Windows Features" I checked "Windows Hypervisor Platform" and unchecked "Virtual Machine Platform", restarted, tried to run my VM expecting it to crash with the same error, but no, it worked.

So, here's my VM running showing the Windows Features settings
screenshot.2021-08-22 13.54.21-min.jpg

And here's the output from

Code: Select all

DISM /Online /Get-Features
screenshot.2021-08-22 13.30.35.jpg
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Windows is in love with Hyper-V, which can block Virtualbox when Hyper-V is enabled.

The Windows Features box does not always indicate if all features that use Hyper-V are truly off. To check if Virtualbox is being blocked by Hyper-V, right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.