Virtualbox windows snaphots installation fails: vboxdrv error 577, any VM fails to start

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
pal1000

Virtualbox windows snaphots installation fails: vboxdrv error 577, any VM fails to start

Post by pal1000 »

I didn't test to see if 5.2 snapshots are affected but 6.0 clearly are:

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.194]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sc query vboxdrv

SERVICE_NAME: vboxdrv
        TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER
        STATE              : 1  STOPPED
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 577  (0x241)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

C:\Windows\system32>
Installation ends with a prompt to reboot but as I know from experience, when Virtualbox asks to reboot something went bad and rebooting is ineffective as cure more than 99% of the time. Attempting to start any VM in this condition results in a log similar to the one attached.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
bird
Oracle Corporation

Re: Virtualbox windows snaphots installation fails: vboxdrv error 577, any VM fails to start

Post by bird »

577 == ERROR_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH, so it smells like some driver signature verification issue on your system.
Knut St. Osmundsen
Oracle Corporation
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox windows snaphots installation fails: vboxdrv error 577, any VM fails to start

Post by socratis »

[color=#105289]pal1000[/color] wrote:
6.0.0_BETA3r127302
[color=#00AA00]bird[/color] wrote:it smells like some driver signature verification issue on your system.
Did you download this from the test builds area? Are you using Secure Boot? Because if you do, you might have missed this:
Installing Windows test builds

The Windows test build packages are working precisely like a usual VirtualBox installer packages, with one difference: they will not work (the error message will point to unsigned drivers) if you install them on Windows 10 if your system has UEFI secure boot enabled. To make these test build work you need to disable UEFI secure boot in the system's UEFI config.
Try with RC1 and see if it fails (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.0.0_RC1/). That one is signed properly. The test/development builds aren't...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pal1000

Post by pal1000 »

I wouldn't have been so surprised if I would have seen that. Unfortunately I didn't and I couldn't find it even now. A sticky thread in Windows hosts section would have certainly catch my attention.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

pal1000 wrote:and I couldn't find it even now
It's literally in the same page that you downloaded the development builds from: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds. How could you miss it? :o

And if you didn't see it in the same page where you downloaded the build from, I highly doubt it that a sticky in the forums would help any more... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.