Windows guest with VMSVGA adapter

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
pal1000

Windows guest with VMSVGA adapter

Post by pal1000 »

GA installation fails in this configuration as it fails to find appropriate GPU adapter. I think GA installer should skip GPU driver install in this case or if it's possible to preload the VboxSVGA driver using pnputil.exe, something similar to what DriverStore Explorer does. This trick only works for WDDM drivers as far as I know though. In the longterm however Virtualbox VMSVGA should support VMWare windows proprietary VMSVGA driver included in VMWare Tools. At the moment attempting to install it results in BSOD. Just like Linux Mesa3D svga driver, VMWare proprietary GPU driver is a lot faster than VboxSVGA driver.

Testing compatibility with VMWare proprietary GPU driver
- Download VMWare Tools standalone: https://packages.vmware.com/tools/relea ... index.html
- After mounting VMWare Tools ISO in a VM run setup.exe /a or setup64.exe /a (on 64-bit guests) to extract the installer components as normal installation is not allowed in a non-VMWare VM;
- the remaining steps are manual driver installation similar to virtio-net. As I said it doesn't succeed and everything ends in a BSOD. Fortunately Windows returns to basic display on restart so there is no permanent damage to the VM.
Attachments
120918-30687-01.zip
BSOD crashdump from VMWare proprietary GPU driver install attempt.
(87.17 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows guest with VMSVGA adapter

Post by socratis »

VMSVGA is for Linux guests, not Windows guests. For Windows guests, if you want to move from the old default VBoxVGA, you should try VBoxSVGA.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Hi socratis,

In case possibly missed one snippet of information?
pal1000 wrote:...VMWare proprietary GPU driver is a lot faster than VboxSVGA driver.
socratis wrote:...you should try VBoxSVGA.
Appears pal1000 may have already tried VBoxSVGA? :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yes, he did. My statement was more of a "generic" statement in nature, so let me try and correct it, from:
socratis wrote:For Windows guests, if you want to move from the old default VBoxVGA, you should try VBoxSVGA.
to
socratis wrote:For Windows guests, if anyone chooses to move from the old default VBoxVGA, they should be trying VBoxSVGA, not VMSVGA.
Better? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.