Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
jrc55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, fedora16

File Manager and beta 3

Post by jrc55 »

Host Win 10 1809
Guest Fedora 29 kde but still on kernel 4.18.18. Guest additions installed.
Intel i7-6700
16 gb memory on machine. 4gb for the client.

When I restore a snapshot of what was an running guest then I cannot use the file manager. File manager gives me a VERR_ACCESS_DENIED when I try to create a guest session. But if I then reboot that client the file manager works ok.
When I then try to do a copy from host to the client it hangs, but I think that is a known issue. I mention that only for completeness.

Thanks,
JC
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: File Manager and beta 3

Post by socratis »

Personally, I wouldn't expect a session to be part of a snapshot. It's a temporary connection, not part of the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jrc55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: winxp, fedora16

Post by jrc55 »

Hmm ... let me rephrase what I said.

I have a saved snapshot. I restore that snapshot to become a running, active, guest. The I try to use the file manager to copy a file from the host to the running guest and but it fails at login of the 'create' session with a VERR_ACCESS_DENIED.

I am not trying to file copy into a inactive snapshot.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,
JC
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jrc55 wrote:but it fails at login of the 'create' session with a VERR_ACCESS_DENIED
This does. I thought that you wanted the session that you had when you saved the snapshot to be restored as well. But you're referring to creating a new session, and that fails. Got it. Mea culpa...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
stes

Post by stes »

I can reproduce this problem : run a client + take snapshot + close the client click "restore latest snapshot" + start the client again : the Machine -> File Manager refuses to create a new session.

However in my case it seems sufficient to restart the VBoxService service on the client. After restarting VBoxService the Machine -> File Manager allows to create a new session.