Windows Hypervisor Platform

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
gautamsi

Windows Hypervisor Platform

Post by gautamsi »

As we are progressing towards new major release, it would be good time to add feature for Windows Hypervisor Platform which would enable running VirtualBox and Hyper-V side by side.

it will also benefit for those wanted to use VirtualBox but could not use due to developer workflow tied with Hyper-v on Windows. There are people who can not use VirtualBox when they run Windows native docker, it would help them use both system side by side.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows Hypervisor Platform

Post by mpack »

Excellent idea. Now you only need to talk Microsoft into doing it!
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I would not hold my breath waiting! A host with Hyper-V installed loads its hypervisor even before the OS loads, and it is the hypervisor which loads hardware virtualization. You can prevent the hypervisor from loading using bcdedit and this allows VirtualBox to run, but Hyper-V can't because its hypervisor is not running!
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ISTR that VMWare ESXi Server was able to pass the VT-x feature on to the guest OS (the VirtualBox host), enabling VirtualBox to run. Obviously it still wasn't issue free or they wouldn't have been on this site talking about it.

Obviously there's no possibility of Hyper-v and VirtualBox running "side by side" when the former is a type 1 hypervisor, but cooperation may be possible if Microsoft does the work. Whether VirtualBox ever supports this arrangement is a different matter. I wouldn't.