Failed to read signing key from F:\mykey.pem

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Ricardo2018

Failed to read signing key from F:\mykey.pem

Post by Ricardo2018 »

When trying to export VM to OCI, is showing the above error after specifying the cloud profile. We have created the key file by following the Oracle instructions but is not working!
stes

Re: Failed to read signing key from F:\mykey.pem

Post by stes »

Can you please indicate which instructions you refer to when you say "by following the Oracle instructions" (export VM to OCI). I am asking because I would like to experiment with this functionality as well, but the "UserManual" is not saying a lot about 'VM export to Oracle Cloud (OPC)'. Also I see there is a "Cloud Profile Manager" in the VirtualBox "File" menu but if I search in the UserManual for "Cloud Profile Manager" there is no information. Also the only info I see there is VBoxManage list cloudprofiles. Thanks!
stes

Re: Failed to read signing key from F:\mykey.pem

Post by stes »

Are you following the instructions please from

https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Cont ... ingkey.htm

?

If yes, did you follow the steps to create a private key with passphrase or without passphrase ?

They recommend in that doc to use : openssl genrsa -out ~/.oci/oci_api_key.pem -aes128 2048

However they also provide an alternative without passphrase:

openssl genrsa -out ~/.oci/oci_api_key.pem 2048

I have reproduced a similar message "Failed to read signing key" which seems to indicate in fact that it is not able to decrypt the key with the pass_phrase.

So the message "read" is a little bit misleading as it is not able to use the pass_phrase, it could tell "Bad pass_phrase" or some similar message.

If you are following other instructions, please indicate which exact commands you are using please.