Beta 2 and File manger issues

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
jrc55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, fedora16

Beta 2 and File manger issues

Post by jrc55 »

I understand this feature is a work in progress but I thought I'd mention a couple of things.
1. The "guest" side of the display is greyed out.
2. The "host" side displays the file sizes and "change time" for the files ... but if you click on the column heading it sorts either of them in a CHAR sequence instead of their numeric values.

Host: Win 10 1809
Guest: Fedora 29 with kde and guest additions is installed.
Intel i7-6700.
16 gb memory on host. 4gb allocated to guest.

Thanks. Looking forward to a shiny new VBox for a Christmas present. :)
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Re: Beta 2 and File manger issues

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hello. Thanks a lot for your feedback. "Guest Side" is greyed out because you need to login (or start a so called guest session) first. Please click on the "Session" toolbar button first and try to do that. Please keep an eye on the log panel of the file manager for error messages. Please also note that you will need a relatively new guest additions. If everything goes as expected then you will see a functional guest side as well.
I will solve the sort wrt. change time hiccup.
A warning to anyone using this tool. Currently delete action just deletes without asking for any confirmations. I have once managed to delete all my home folder of my development machine. so be careful.
jrc55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, fedora16

Post by jrc55 »

Thank you Whiskeyjack. That solved my problem.

Please consider displaying some kind of default text in the greyed out window that would aid the noobies. Something that mentions the session button ... the login box ... and the 'create session' button. It may prevent a few emails of the kind that got this topic going. :)

JC
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hi,
jrc55 wrote: Please consider displaying some kind of default text in the greyed out window that would aid the noobies. Something that mentions the session button ... the login box ... and the 'create session' button.
I will consider this. Thanks