Vbox 6.0 beta1 - MacOS dock recently open apps issue

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Darius123
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7 Pro, MacOS, Linux*

Vbox 6.0 beta1 - MacOS dock recently open apps issue

Post by Darius123 »

When Vbox is running with one of the VMs active (in example below Debian but the same happens with any other VM) MacOS 10.14 dock shows - (1) - Vbox GUI icon, (2) - active VM icon:
1.png
1.png (46.26 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
When VM is shut down the icon changes to represent generic Vbox icon:
2.png
2.png (43.43 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
When clicked I would expect the VM to be started again, instead it throws the error:
3.png
3.png (40.09 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
Last edited by Darius123 on 26. Oct 2018, 14:01, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Vbox 6.0 beta1 - MacOS dock recently open apps issue

Post by socratis »

Don't include [img] tags to 3rd party images, they won't render. The least you can do is to "Preview" your post. Always attach the images locally. So, please edit your post and attach the images here, locally.

I can't reproduce the problem on 10.11.6. Can you remove all VirtualBox icons from the Dock after a computer restart/remove icons/restart, and try again? Does it still happen?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

OK. I have edited my original post to fix images - sorry for that. Not posting on this forum too often - still learning.

The recent apps area on dock feature was only introduced in 10.14.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

I think you could try to reproduce this behaviour in previous macOS versions by making dock icon representing running VM permanent - right click it and then in options set "Keep in Dock"
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Not sure how easily this can be solved...
  • VirtualBox uses the "VirtualBoxVM.app" to start a specific VM, which is passed as an argument from the command line.
  • OSX simply points to the app. No arguments.
It seems that we are at an impasse which can't be solved. OSX simply can't have arguments passed to an application, and VirtualBox can't work without that, at a fundamental level.

The only solution is to prevent OSX from showing the recently used applications in the Dock: https://www.macworld.com/article/328451 ... ticle.html
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Darius123

Post by Darius123 »

Yes. Only option would be redesign how VMs are run on MacOS - instead of as separate app they could run as subprocess of main VBox one (this is how VMware does it)

But obviously it is not something high priority IMHO.