Memory exception during guest reset

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
JoergK

Memory exception during guest reset

Post by JoergK »

Hallo,

I would like to report a memory exception that occures when I try to reset a running guest.

Host: Win7 64-bit
Guest: RHEL 7.4
VirtualBox VM 5.2.0_RC1 r118201

When I try to reset the guest (Ctrl+T) I get the attached error message and the window of the virtual machine crashes. I could reproduce the error. The error appears at the same memory address each time.

Regards,
JoergK
Attachments
Screenshot of error message
Screenshot of error message
vbox_ram_error.png (8.93 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Memory exception during guest reset

Post by michaln »

You say you're resetting the guest with "Ctrl+T", but the default key combination for VM reset is Host/Ctrl+R. I expect you really mean reset (and not taking a snapshot, which is Host/Ctrl+T by default), but want to be sure.

Anyway that's really interesting, but there's not even a VBox.log, leave alone something that would actually make it possible to fix the crash, like a minidump. If there aren't lots of people complaining, it is safe to assume you're the only one seeing this problem, so it won't get fixed without detailed information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Just a small note: "T" and "R" are next to each other on a standard keyboard, it may be a typo...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JoergK

Post by JoergK »

Hi,

I used Machine --> Reset from the vBox main window to reset the guest. I wrote Ctrl+T because it is mentioned as the key combination in the menu and I thought this would make clear what I mean. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Please finde the vbox.log files attached. They are from my tests with the RC1. Currently I've reinstalled the BETA2 because I need to test something else on a RHEL 7.4 guest and the BETA2 is last version working for me. But maybe you could find some hint in the vbox.log files from the last days.

Regards,
JoergK
Attachments
VBox.log.3.log
(122.11 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
VBox.log.2.log
(121.15 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

I see, it's Ctrl+T in the VM Manager, but Host+R in the VM window. Thanks for the clarification.

VBox.log.2.log does not show any reset but may indicate a VM process crash on shutdown. VBox.log.3.log is incomplete but does not show either a reset or a poweroff. I can't tell if it indicates any crash at all. It's still useful information, but not enough to fix the crashes. Anyway, best to wait for the next build now.
JoergK

Post by JoergK »

michaln wrote:Anyway, best to wait for the next build now.
Ok, I will test with the next build again and update this thread then.