[Fixed] VBox Guest Additions do not work with X 1.19

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
jnpapado
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows

[Fixed] VBox Guest Additions do not work with X 1.19

Post by jnpapado »

VBox Guest Additions fail to install vboxvideo_drv.so module on Linux guests with X v1.19 (which is now delivered with RHEL 7.4). As a result most resolutions as well as auto-resize are unavailable. Problem is also there on 5.1.26
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: VBox Guest Additions do not work with X 1.19

Post by frank »

That's true but we don't intend to ship a driver for X.org 1.19 because systems with such a new X server should be able to load the vboxvideo kernel module. Unfortunately RHEL 7 mixes an old kernel (3.10) with a recent X server (1.19). Fortunately RedHat backported relevant DRM code from recent Linux to their custom 3.10.x kernel and we could make the vboxvideo kernel driver work with the RHEL 7.3 and RHEL 7.4 kernels. Please download the most recent Guest Additions from our test builds page. The fix is included in the 5.1 Guest Additions as well as in the most recent 'Development snapshot' Guest Additions. And it will be part of the next Beta as well.
jnpapado
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows

Post by jnpapado »

Great, thanks. That seemed to have worked.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Add another confirmation: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84217
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.