No USB HDD on Solaris guests

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
spbarrett

No USB HDD on Solaris guests

Post by spbarrett »

I have already posted a bug against v5.0.24. After trying v5.1RC the same situation exists. USB drives (flash & HDD) are no longer accessible from a Solaris guest (10 & 11). Linux v6.8 and Windows 7 hosts. USB access works on a Windows guest on a Linux host and a Linux guest on a Windows host. THis appears to be limited to Solaris guests.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: No USB HDD on Solaris guests

Post by michaln »

Log files? Error messages?
spbarrett

Post by spbarrett »

This log file is from v5.0.24. While I have download v5.1.0 for my Linux laptop I have not yet installed it. The screen capture error message is the same under Windows.
The inability to access the USB appears to be begun post v5.0.20, that is the last version I know it working and the last version I used when teaching Solaris 11 Workshops to customers.
Because of a requirement to place the VM, documentation, and all HTML files on a single DVD i created the workshop VM using a Linux bash script before adding a local repository and some lab-specific scripts. The virtualization lab requires multiple drives. The final VM must be compacted before export to fit in the space of a single-sided DVD. I use the VirtualBox VDI format since VirtualBox cannot compact VMDK images.
Attachments
Solaris 11 USB.jpg
Solaris 11 USB.jpg (90.72 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

So now we just need the corresponding VBox.log and someone can actually start thinking about the problem.
spbarrett

Post by spbarrett »

OK. I posted this to the Solaris Guest forum, here it is in the 5.5 forum. Same problem.

Successfully installed VirtualBox v5.1 and the latest extension pack on Windows 7 and Oracle Linux v6.8. Then tested the USB connectivity against Solaris 10 & 11.3. Tried multiple USB flash and HDD.
[Flash: Oracle key 4GB, Oracle swivel 4GB, SanDisk Cruzer Edge 4GB, Lexar 8GB, Toshiba 32GB, PNY 64GB]
[HDD: Seagate 2TB Backup Plus, JMicro USB to ATA bridge]
The only USB devices that successful mount inside the Solaris guest are the Toshiba and SanDisk. All the other indicate as connected in the Devices->USB but do not show on the desktop, in the 'df' command, or the 'File Browser'; however in the browser the USB device shows but list as "Unable to Mount Location". (See picture.)
Attached is a zip file of the logs from various attempts. The naming conversion is (Host OS - Guest OS); i.e. Windows 7 - Solaris 11 is (W7-S11). Previous attempts to post the logs failed due to a size exceeding 128KB. The newest file 'VBox (L6-S11).log' should have the successful Toshiba and SanDisk mounts, as well as the failed ones. All of these USB drives have successfully been mounted inside a Solaris guests. Success mounts occurred in VirtualBox 4.3.36 and 5.0.20. It has not worked properly since 5.0.22/23/24/25 or 5.1RC or 5.1.
Attachments
VBox_51&Solaris.zip
Logs fro Windows & Linux
(94.62 KiB) Downloaded 21 times