VMM: Clonezilla exits to login prompt without IO_APIC

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
uli100
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various Linux Distros

VMM: Clonezilla exits to login prompt without IO_APIC

Post by uli100 »

I'm using VirtualBox-4.1 beta 3 on Ubuntu 10.04, 32 bit. Within a vm, I'm trying to boot into clonezilla-live-1.2.8-46-i486.iso. With beta2, it works perfectly.
With beta3, I have to activate IO_APIC. Otherwise clonezilla exits to a login prompt after the first couple of screens.

What's strange is this: I tried to reproduce the original error message, so I deactivated IO_APIC again. Afterwards, it still works, no boot prompt. I'm sure it didn't work before. And I'm sure I only added IO_APIC for the VM and nothing else. So from a user standpoint, the VM is now configured exactly the same as at the beginning of my tests. Initially, Clonezilla exited into the login prompt, now it works. Strange, isn't it?
uli100
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various Linux Distros

Re: Clonezilla exits to login prompt without activating IO_APIC

Post by uli100 »

I just observed the bug again. It is not 100% reproducable. It seems to be more likely to happen if you "leave" the vm console window after each input by pressing the right CTRL key after each input. Just try to create a description on how to do a backup of a vm with clonezilla: Look at the screen, describe what's displayed within an editor outside of the vm, do some action within the vm, descibe the action within the editor, look at the screen, etc. By doing so, the focus switches permanently between the vm and the host. Any finally, a boot prompt is displayed - sometimes. Once again, I missed to make a screenshot of the issue. Hopefully, I'll do so next time.

Here the description:
  • Boot into the Clonezilla-Live-CD
    Select "Clonezilla Live ..."
    Choose language: English
    Configuring console-data: Select keymap from arch list
    qwertz
    German
    Standard
    latin1 - no dead keys
After this, you sometimes see the boot prompt. So far, I've never seen the boot prompt when IO_APIC is active.