Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

VirtualBox 3.1.0 final today

Post by frank »

I know, many of you think that we should delay the 3.1.0 release for some more time. Unfortunately this is really not possible because we have a deadline which elapsed today and there was no way to extend this deadline. Many thanks to all Beta testers, we have incorporated some of your proposals -- yes, the warning when removing the last CD/DVD-ROM drive made it in -- and we fixed a bunch of problems. Many thanks for your time, for your suggestions and for your discussion. I'm sorry if we didn't fix every problem you expected. There is still room for discussion, even for the new storage GUI. You can be assured that all of the comments in the Beta forums were at least read by the VirtualBox team even if we didn't comment every question.

You know that our release cycle is quite short and some of the problems which are not yet addressed with 3.1.0 will be in 3.1.2. We hope that VirtualBox 3.1.0 is stable enough to be useful.
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: VirtualBox 3.1.0 final today

Post by Technologov »

OK, I am happy to work with you. I am looking forward and hope that we will resolve the remaining issues and come to an agreement regarding the new storage GUI.

Thanks for this great product,
-Technologov

P.S. This is my 1100's post ! yay
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

Technologov wrote:P.S. This is my 1100's post ! yay
Congratulations :) and thanks again!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Grats technologov on your 1100th post. I missed my 10k's, 11k's and even 11111st post :P.

Frank, can there be a 'known issues' list for the final release, so we know which issues are not solved in this release but will be in the next so it will prevent useless posts both here on the forums and in the bugtracker? It would be a good thing to know what you might expect.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

Sasquatch wrote:I missed my 10k's, 11k's and even 11111st post
Yeah, that's quite impressive!
Sasquatch wrote:Frank, can there be a 'known issues' list for the final release, so we know which issues are not solved in this release but will be in the next so it will prevent useless posts both here on the forums and in the bugtracker? It would be a good thing to know what you might expect.
Done although there are some items missing but I'm currently a bit overloaded ...
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks. Perry just messaged me that you missed the Karmic timing issue, but all in due time ;). I'm sure the list will fill up eventually.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

Frank Mehnert wrote:I know, many of you think that we should delay the 3.1.0 release for some more time. Unfortunately this is really not possible because we have a deadline which elapsed today and there was no way to extend this deadline.
Sorry I didn't have a chance to contribute much at all during this beta cycle. :-(

Sad to hear you had an unrealistic deadline that forced you to release unstable code (unstable doesn't even really cover it, 3.1.0 final is proving to be unusable for me). I know how much I hate it when I have to release code that's not ready! Looking forward to 3.1.2. :-)
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by abcuser »

SSCBrian wrote:Sad to hear you had an unrealistic deadline that forced you to release unstable code (unstable doesn't even really cover it, 3.1.0 final is proving to be unusable for me).
Hi,
can you explain why is unusable to you, what is the problem. Is it known problem or a new one, if new one please write a problem here or report but to bugtracker.

I have installed 3.1.0 today and I haven't noticed any problem at all. I migrated, because of multiple snapshots that what I have been missing from the first day I started using VirtualBox few year ago.
Regards
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

abcuser wrote: can you explain why is unusable to you, what is the problem. Is it known problem or a new one, if new one please write a problem here or report but to bugtracker.
Unable to install either openSUSE 11.2 or latest Fedora. Both randomly lockup, usually during install, sometimes on first boot, sometime in use (if you can get that far).

Solaris 10U8 installs fine, but randomly logs me out (closing all apps in the process). Also programs running under Solaris randomly close, sometimes while in use, sometimes while idle, sometimes while they're starting up. No pattern found yet.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Please, for your problems, open specific topics and/or bug reports. Do not pile it all here.

As for me, VBox 3.1.0 works great in almost all (95%+) of my use cases, and bugs/wishes are opened for the rest he-he.