Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

3.1.0B2 SMP and Ubuntu Kernel x64.

Post by Perryg »

I noticed that I needed to select only (1) processor to be able to work with the Ubuntu Kernel 2.6.31-14-generic as host
Seemed that selecting (2) made it appear to run at 1/3 of the speed it should.

Now I have update the Ubuntu Kernel to 2.6.31-15-generic (repo upgrade) and even with (1) cpu the guest is sluggish. You can actually hear this more then see it (but it is viewable as well) by listening to the boot sound or by trying to play anything in the media player. It struggles to do any task and reminds me of something running at a slower speed than it should.

I have noticed this on all guests, but of course Windows is worse by far. Xp (64) not as bad, Win 7 (64) worse, and Vista (64) all but unusable.

I tried to regress the GA's to 3.0.12 but this time it locked the guest at boot with 100% host processor.
As a native OS the Ubuntu Karmic does everything that it is supposed to do and at a really fast speed, but Virtualizing in it is getting to be a real chore.

Please let me know what I can do to help test this further.

Log File included.
Windows Vista-2009-11-23-11-09-23.log
Vista 64 1 CPU selected
(61.9 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: 3.1.0B2 SMP and Ubuntu Kernel x64.

Post by frank »

Might be unrelated, but what happens if you disable the audio device for that VM, does that change anything? Yes, sure you, you will not hear anything anymore but I want to rule out anything which could be related to the host audio system.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: 3.1.0B2 SMP and Ubuntu Kernel x64.

Post by Perryg »

While testing this, I have tried it with the audio check mark unchecked as well as the 3D/2D and USB unchecked. The only thing I have not disabled is the network adapter.
One by one and all at once. The problem exists but is usable unless you select (2) CPU. I have decreased and increased the RAM (staying within the standard memory allocations of Windows), and the vRAM from the minimum suggestion to as much as 32MB.

The only reason I even mentioned the sound is because you can really hear the problem. I have already installed the reatek audio drivers and updated them via Windows Upgrade.

The strange thing to me was although I was having this problem while using the 2.6.31-14-generic kernel on Ubuntu 9.10x64 host, it got worse with the 2.6.31-15-generic.