Would you please consider fixing bug 1778 in the next beta?

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
ToddAndMargo

Would you please consider fixing bug 1778 in the next beta?

Post by ToddAndMargo »

Hi Guys,

I realize your guys are up to your necks with bugs and other things to fix on 3, but would you please consider fixing this year old bug in the next beta of 3? It would be very, very appreciated! (It is also affecting my business.)

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1778#comment:47

Many thanks,
-T
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Re: Would you please consider fixing bug 1778 in the next beta?

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have read the bug and I think this is not critical bug. Critical bug is bug that effects most of the people using day to day operations. I am not an expert, but are you sure this is not Kasperski problem?

By the way, why do you need anti-virus program on guest? What is your host? Also Windows? To protect Windows I would suggest to do the following in this order:
1. If using Windows XP lower any administration privileges to user level. If you can't do this because some software requires administrator privileges I suggest to install "Drop My Rights" free program and lower any internet application (browser, e-mail client, IRC, e-mule, etc) to user level http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9756656-33.html
2. Install some good free firewall like ZoneAlarm.
3. Install anti-virus on host. Also firewall on host and Drop My Rights on host (to prevent any accident by host program).
4. Regularly (ones per week or ones per two weeks) make a backup of guest VDI file.
That is exactly what I do on my PC and I don't have any anti-virus program on guest installed.

This is probably not the best solution for you, but can be a workaround until fix is provided.

If this is not suitable for your maybe you should consider buying a support from Sun for VirtualBox, if this is important for your business. You know like an investment. Or you could try any other virtualization tool see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... l_machines I like VirtualBox the most of them, but you know if this bug is something that hurts your business you should try using some other software. I suggest to use free of charge VM Player (limitation is you can't create a new VM): http://www.vmware.com/download/player/ You know you should ask yourself what is better to have:
1. VirtualBox without Kasperski
2. Kasperski without VirtualBox

I hope this problem will be solve soon and you could have both. But maybe it doesn't hurt your business so much if you wait for a year. :)

Just my humble opinion.
Regards
ToddAndMargo

Post by ToddAndMargo »

abcuser wrote:are you sure this is not Kasperski problem?
Works fine in VM Ware
What is your host? Also Windows?
CentOS 5.3 (Linux)
You know you should ask yourself what is better to have:
1. VirtualBox without Kasperski
2. Kasperski without VirtualBox
or 3. they could fix the stinking thing (fix the RDPMC x86 instruction: if VM Ware can do it, Virtual Box can too)
But maybe it doesn't hurt your business so much if you wait for a year
No, I just suffer. I also like the way Virtual Box works is so many other areas. I use Virtual Box a lot.

And this is going to start affecting peoples day to day operation. Kaspersky is growing. Currently in Russia, it is now at 47% of the market (see http://www.anti-malware-test.com/?q=node/82). A year is long enough. You would think they'd just fix this out of embarrassment

-T
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Like I said in the defect, the version I've tried works on my system. There's no time to look at this for the 3.0 release, but I'll have more time for 3.0.2. Remind me in case I forgot (politely please).
ToddAndMargo

Post by ToddAndMargo »

sandervl wrote:Like I said in the defect, the version I've tried works on my system. There's no time to look at this for the 3.0 release, but I'll have more time for 3.0.2. Remind me in case I forgot (politely please).
I will post in the bug after 3.0 gets released. I will make sure I am as polite as ever.

Now on the "politely" front, I am not sure how I offended ni81036 in comment 44 over on the bug. I think he took offense to my use of an exclamation mark ("!"). Exclamation marks are to add emphasis. Shouting is CAPS and did not use any caps. Maybe it was telling him the age of the bug. Maybe is was telling him it was a pain in the neck, which is politely cleaning up where the pain really is. I am not really sure. If you figure it out, let me know. The last thing I want to do is offend the very people who are going to fix this odious bug! (That wasn't shouting.)

-T
ToddAndMargo

Post by ToddAndMargo »

sandervl wrote:... I'll have more time for 3.0.2. Remind me in case I forgot (politely please).
Hi Sandervl,

3.0 just got announced. :-)

-T
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

ToddAndMargo

Post by ToddAndMargo »

Hi Sandervl,

Thank you!

-T

p.s. over on bug 1778, I noticed you are running an i7. Would you mind taking a trip over to
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 854#p80871

and see if there is any new information you can add to it. I was wondering how VB reacts to Hyperthreading (running on half a processor).

-T