Several bugs in 3.0 Beta 2

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: Several bugs in 3.0 Beta 1

Post by michael »

Re the black screens, I have to admit that so far I haven't a clue. So my next request is for the guest's xorg.conf files and the Xorg.0.log corresponding to the failing gdm session.
sovok.kpss
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7(64-bit), Ubuntu 10.04(64-bit), CentOS 5.5(64-bit)

Post by sovok.kpss »

Wow, I got my guest Fedora 11 working!
When the gdm is loading I have black screen with the line of some video trash at the top. Using my extra-human ability to work with blind eyes :D I pushed "Enter" button(because by default my Username is selected and waithing for my choose) and typed the password and then again pushed "Enter". Then a system loading as usual without any errors and crashes. And after that I restarted again and noticed that a line of some trash is the normal screen but with scaled height to be a small line at the top.
System boot normal with both enabled and disabled 3d acceleration.

here xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as you wish =)
Attachments
xorg.conf.log
(307 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times
Xorg.0.log
(74.35 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
sovok.kpss

Post by sovok.kpss »

In addition to my previous post:
When I increased a processors number up to 2 the system didn't load at GDM stage as I described above, disabling 3d acceleration didn't help. It loads only background and nothing else.
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.old.log
(15.1 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
danielkza
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008

Post by danielkza »

I can confirm the issue, tested on both Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.04. Works fine right after installation to hard-drive. On the first HD boot, the first thing I've done is install the needed packages, the guest additions, then reboot. Then, in the moment GDM should kick-in (as already mentioned), I get a black screen with random garbage at a small line in the top. I'll try to do a blind login to check if it works.

Code: Select all

[Host]
Windows 7 RC1, Core 2 Duo E7300

[Guest]
Fedora 11, Ubuntu 9.04
Base Memory: 1GB
Video Memory: 16MB
PAE/NX: On
HW Virt: Off
SMP: Off

3D Acceleration: On/Off (no change)
aamukahvi
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by aamukahvi »

Hi,

I noticed that resizing the guest window somehow repairs this situation. Then if I set a "real" resolution (1366x768) from Kubuntu 9.10 screen settings, it gets screwed again.
sovok.kpss

Post by sovok.kpss »

aamukahvi wrote:Hi,

I noticed that resizing the guest window somehow repairs this situation. Then if I set a "real" resolution (1366x768) from Kubuntu 9.10 screen settings, it gets screwed again.
Yes, but not at GDM loading stage.
sovok.kpss

Re: Several bugs in 3.0 Beta 2

Post by sovok.kpss »

UPD2: Beta 2:
1) Additions don't work on Fedora 11 as Guest. It gives only black screen on reboot after additions installing
This problem is still happen, but now after installing additions it is a full black screen(with no line of trash in the top e.t.c.). The way I can get the Fedora 11 working doesn't work now
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

sovok.kpss wrote:UPD2: Beta 2:
1) Additions don't work on Fedora 11 as Guest. It gives only black screen on reboot after additions installing
This problem is still happen, but now after installing additions it is a full black screen(with no line of trash in the top e.t.c.). The way I can get the Fedora 11 working doesn't work now
this might actually be a fault with fedora11 not virtualbox as i was getting the corrupted gdm screen on a real fedora11 machine when i installed the nvidia drivers, and switching to a tty (similar to resizing a guest) fixed it, and like you, once i blindly logged in, display was fine.

using the default nouveau drivers worked fine, so maybe fedora11 has an issue with 3rd-party drivers like nvidia/virtualbox....?
sovok.kpss

Post by sovok.kpss »

sej7278 wrote:this might actually be a fault with fedora11 not virtualbox as i was getting the corrupted gdm screen on a real fedora11 machine when i installed the nvidia drivers, and switching to a tty (similar to resizing a guest) fixed it, and like you, once i blindly logged in, display was fine.

using the default nouveau drivers worked fine, so maybe fedora11 has an issue with 3rd-party drivers like nvidia/virtualbox....?
Maybe there is something wrong in Fedora 11 ;)
But again, when I turned off SMP all seems to be right.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

sovok.kpss wrote:Maybe there is something wrong in Fedora 11 ;)
But again, when I turned off SMP all seems to be right.
ah didn't see you mention it being an smp issue in the thread - my real f11 box was smp too.

turning off smp does seem to fix most of the problems i've seen in both beta's.

maybe 2.2.5 should be released with the bugfixes backported from the betas and 3.0.0 final with smp should be held back for a few months, i can't see this coming out of beta any time soon with stable smp.