What does this bug fix or feature means in the 3.0 Beta 1?

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Nazgulled

What does this bug fix or feature means in the 3.0 Beta 1?

Post by Nazgulled »

I was reading the changelog for 3.0 Beta 1 but there's a couple of things that I don't know what they are talking about and what did they fix/add:

1) GUI: allow to create/remove one host-only network adapters

2) Shared Folders: allow to change ?le attributes from Linux guests and use the correct ?le mode when creating ?les

Thanks.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: What does this bug fix or feature means in the 3.0 Beta 1?

Post by frank »

To 1): So far it was only possible to use one host-only network adapter. Starting with 3.0.0 it will be possible to create more host-only adapters from the GUI. Please consult the user manual for a description of host-only network adapters.

To 2): Up to now it wasn't possible to change the file attributes of files of a shared folder within a Linux guest. Starting with 3.0.0 it will be possible to restrict a file to (for instance) read-only access. This might sound like a minor important change but some applications rely on that feature.
Nazgulled

Post by Nazgulled »

1) That's what I don't get, in the current version I'ma ble to create more than one host interface. You're saying that the guests can only use one of those at a time in version 3 will be ablet o use more than one, is that?

2) Would that solve my problem here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16414 ?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

1) That's what I don't get, in the current version I'ma ble to create more than one host interface. You're saying that the guests can only use one of those at a time in version 3 will be ablet o use more than one, is that?
No, I'm saying that you will be able to create more than one host interface from the GUI. Probably the changelog message lacks the information that this was added for non-Windows hosts -- so far it wasn't possible to create additional host-only adapters on a Linux host.
2) Would that solve my problem here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16414 ?
Probably not because this change is mainly intended for Linux guests on Linux hosts. Especially there is no direct match of the executable bit to a Windows host so storing these Linux attributes on a Windows host is more difficult. At the moment, the VirtualBox shared folders do not much more than mount a part of the host file system into the guest. This is quite the same as mounting a Windows partition to a Linux guest.
Nazgulled

Post by Nazgulled »

Got it now.