Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
kebabbert
Volunteer
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, RedHat, Ubuntu

Re: Disappointed with VirtualBox development

Post by kebabbert »

I understand there are bugs in such a complex software as VirtualBox. Come on, which other software supports this many different OSes? The development rate is astonishing, far faster than VMware and any other. VB is unique and to support many different setups and OSes and OS versions are troublesome. I think that the developers are doing a remarkable job. I think most of you agree, but are sometimes frustrated. As I can be sometimes. We all want the best for VB. It is free and it is open. I understand that many threads request 3D graphics such as OpenGL and DX. And now there are more complaints. But the good thing seems to be that the complaints are about bugs, not missing features? So maybe next versions of VB should target bug fixes and no more new functionality? The functionality is enough?

Ive heard that community developers ported VB to FreeBSD? Open Source is a good thing. Maybe if some of the bugs could be marked as "easy" maybe some community developers could attack them?

PS. Thank you for your work with VB! It is really awesome and unique product on the market! :)
Nazgulled

Post by Nazgulled »

It's because of replies like this that I was afraid to create such a topic, you just don't know how to handle criticism. But since that's the tone you decided to answer me with, I'm going to do the same.
sandervl wrote:No, because this doesn't scale. It's a matter of the number of Sun developers versus the number of users. We can't monitor the forum closely nor reply to each and every bug ticket opened. If we did, we wouldn't get anything done. I thought that was obvious to everybody.
Don't give me that, I know how things work and most people just use that as an excuse. And if you don't have time to reply to each bug ticket opened why have a Trac system then? If you don't have time to reply to them I almost bet that you don't read them either. Because the ones I'm talking about, the ones I opened, would take under a minute to reply to them all, yet, I got not a single response. Things may change now (or not), but if this thread wasn't created, I believed my Trac items wouldn't get a simple response in the coming months. And I don't believe you don't have a 1 minute or so to do some quick replies.
sandervl wrote:If you subscribe to the trac ticket mailinglist, you would see how much time we spend there answering questions. We only do this because quite a few users give valuable feedback.
I'm sorry, I'm going to stop submit bugs then, find them yourself and test them yourself then, if that's what you want. You are mostly acting like this software isn't open-source, that's what you're doing. If this is really open-source, if you have a forum and specially a bug tracking system, you should provide feedback whenever possible. And you do, but not enough in my opinion. And I'm not talking just about my tickets I've seen others in the same situation. There's always time for everything, that's all I'm saying.
sandervl wrote:And, yes, you can subscribe to tickets by adding a comment. Trac isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.
That's not what I meant, I don't want to make a pointless comment just to subscribe to the trac item. Yes, Trac isn't ideal, but that's not the point. What I mean was that I used Trac systems where RSS feeds were available, isn't there a feature of Trac? Can't it be enabled?
sandervl wrote:That's just your opinion. If it's trivial to add, then go ahead and add it yourself. We'll happily accept your contribution. If you are unable to, then maybe you shouldn't assume that it takes 5 minutes.
And this is specially the top reason why I tend to avoid open-source software. You think that just because it's open-source, nobody can complain because they can just do it themselves? I hate it when open-source devs use this argument, it's just stupid. I'm a developer and I have notion of things, the features I'm talking about, the bugs I'm talking about, yes, take 5 minutes or less (some of them, not all of them) for an experienced programmer in the language in question, for someone that's comfortable with VirtualBox code and for someone which has knowledge in the area (virtualization), I have neither. Stop assuming everyone has the same knowledge and can do everything others can. I can't do it myself, but if I had the knowledge to code software like VirtualBox, yes, I'm sure I could fix lots of bugs in the Trac in 5 minutes (each).
sandervl wrote:And lack of drag and drop makes VirtualBox similar to a car without wheels? Oh, please...
It does for me, it's a basic feature for software like this. It's something that every virtualization software should have, it just doesn't make sense to not have it. Just like sharing folders or copy/paste, they are all around the same thing. The car will work without wheels just as VirtualBox works without drag and drop, but give it wheels and it works much better, give it drag and drop and it will work much better too.

You're just making up excuses and trying to hide the reason why you haven't added such a feature to VirtualBox yet, cause you know how important it is, you just don't want to show it.

Do what you want, I don't care, I just tried to help you the way I can. If you don't want to take my help, fine, it's your choice and it's your software, do whatever you want with it. And I know you don't care either, but unless VirtualBox surprises me and the devs start putting their act together, I'll be moving to VMware as soon as possible, that's for sure.

I didn't want to answer like this, I really didn't, but you gave me no choice when you also decided to answer me like that.
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Well, this is obviously going nowhere. Locking it as I have to time for flame wars.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I think 3D acceleration is MUCH MUCH more important feature than drag-n-drop.

-Technologov