FIXED: ns_error_abort

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
bb83
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Astaro Firewall,2k3,2k8,Endian Firewall,Debian 4.0,Win XP

FIXED: ns_error_abort

Post by bb83 »

Just updated to 2.2 from my 2.1.4. First start was successfull, vbox converted my config files correct and all machines started without troubles. After that i saved the machine states and did a reboot I wasnt able to start VirtualBox, Error Window shows: ns_error_abort.

If i have a look hat VboxSVC output it gives a segfault when starting VirtualBox.
If i remove my configs (~/.VirtualBox) it starts again succesfull. After readding the machines, and rebooting the Host Ive got the same error.

Host: Archlinux 64 bit current
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: ns_error_abort

Post by frank »

Any chance to debug this further? Are you able to provide a core dump (see http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Core_dump)? Or could you provide all files within your ~/.VirtualBox directory so we could try to reproduce the problem?
bb83

Post by bb83 »

Here my .VirtualBox
http://downloads.bb83.de/VirtualBox.tar.gz
Here a screenshot:
http://downloads.bb83.de/vbox_beta.png
Coredump:
http://downloads.bb83.de/core

Thx for the fast response
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

Thanks for these files. Actually your ~/.VirtualBox directory looks quite strange. The Machines directory is missing which is the reason why VBoxSVC crashes. Of course, it should not crash in that case and I hope we can fix this problem. But you shouldn't have lost this directory...

I suggest you to recreate your VMs by starting with an empty .VirtualBox directory. Make sure that no VBoxSVC is running, delete that directory, recreate the VMs and attach the disk images to the VMs.
bb83

Post by bb83 »

Yes I've got the machine files in other locations! I changed default "Hard Disk Folder" and default "Machine Folder" while adding the Virtual Machines. I did this because I've got a Usb Drive with several VirtualMachines. In Vbox Versions before 2.2 this worked without problems. The Vm's just where "inaccessible" when usb drive wasn't attached, and they returned avaiable when usb drive is attached.
Is this a wrong procedure ?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Shouldn't matter. I have my full VB config on my external hard drive too. Even the VirtualBox.xml file is symlinked to the other drive. I share the VMs with my PC and laptop, no issues whatsoever starting them. There must be something else on your system or settings to cause this.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
frank
Oracle Corporation

Post by frank »

I assume that VBoxSVC crashes on your system if you unplugged the USB disk. There was a bug (which should be fixed in SVN now) leading to a VBoxSVC crash if a machine .xml file could not be found. I guess with older version of VirtualBox you just got VM not accessible in that case. The same will happen as the bug is fixed now. So I assume your problem will be solved with the final version 2.2.0 of VirtualBox.
bb83

Re: FIXED: ns_error_abort

Post by bb83 »

Yes you're right, after saving all .xml in ~/. VBoxSVC doesn't seem to crash anymore