what is host only?

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
JeremyInMT

what is host only?

Post by JeremyInMT »

This may be a stupid question, but what is host only and how does it differ from the other networking options?
Nazgulled

Re: what is host only?

Post by Nazgulled »

OMG! When I read that on that changelog I was happy and pissed lol... Happy because that's a feature I was looking for and pissed because I spent the last few days trying to workaround a solution to act as "host-only" networking.

If host-only is what I think it is, it probably works as VMware host-only networking. Basically, it creates a private network between the guest and the host. Which means the guest can only talk to the host and vice-verse (or something like that).

I use this in VMware and in VirtualBox with a workaround to connect to the host proxy server and with that proxy server I connect to the Internet. This is much easier for me than any other of the current networking options...
jacklikevx

Post by jacklikevx »

JeremyInMT wrote:This may be a stupid question, but what is host only and how does it differ from the other networking options?
Host Only : it is not Host "Only" network, it is a Host-Guests only.
JeremyInMT

Post by JeremyInMT »

So does it operate like a 1-client NAT for each guest?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

JeremyInMT wrote:So does it operate like a 1-client NAT for each guest?
See the middle part of Nazgulled post. That is what Host-only is. A pure peer connection between the Host and the Guest OS.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
JeremyInMT

Post by JeremyInMT »

Sasquatch wrote:
JeremyInMT wrote:So does it operate like a 1-client NAT for each guest?
See the middle part of Nazgulled post. That is what Host-only is. A pure peer connection between the Host and the Guest OS.
Interesting. I'm supposing to get to host from guest you just use "\\vboxsrv" or something like that? I wonder about the other direction?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

No, it won't be like that. You have to give it an IP address or do something else. Please see the manual for it. Though it only explains what it is. That should however be enough to understand how to use it.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

Nazgulled

Post by Nazgulled »

You can always add an entrie to the "hosts" file to point the host IP address to a hostname as I did :)
JeremyInMT

Post by JeremyInMT »

Sasquatch wrote:No, it won't be like that. You have to give it an IP address or do something else. Please see the manual for it. Though it only explains what it is. That should however be enough to understand how to use it.
wouldn't it have been just as easy to link to the text or copy/paste it here if you were looking at it? "or something else" doesn't really define anything.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

JeremyInMT wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:No, it won't be like that. You have to give it an IP address or do something else. Please see the manual for it. Though it only explains what it is. That should however be enough to understand how to use it.
wouldn't it have been just as easy to link to the text or copy/paste it here if you were looking at it? "or something else" doesn't really define anything.
It's a bit long, so I'm not posting that. Why post something that is already written?

JeremyInMT

Post by JeremyInMT »

Sasquatch wrote:
JeremyInMT wrote:
It's a bit long, so I'm not posting that. Why post something that is already written?
Well you already took the time to look it up. Copy/paste couldn't have been that hard either and would have probably been the considerate thing to do. You're right, I should have looked it up in the manual though.