VBox Commander - Send keystrokes/commands to a VM

Third Party Applications related to VirtualBox. This forum is moderated.
FredBarbarossa
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux and Windows

VBox Commander - Send keystrokes/commands to a VM

Post by FredBarbarossa »

Hi again,

VBox Commander makes it easy to send keystrokes / commands to a VM that does not support clipboard interaction or is not connected to the network.
Launch the commands by clicking the Execute button or using CTRL + ENTER from the Commands Text Field.
When sending commands the VM should be using US keyboard layout. This software has only tested with Linux Virtual Machines.
Use at your own risk and be careful.

The program uses a global Keyboard hook that can be deactivated.
When active it monitors for a [double press left Control] key and brings the software to the front when triggered.

Currently only graphical VirtualBox sessions running locally are Supported. (Commands will probably anyway be sent to the VM console but you will have no way of monitoring it)
Command History is saved to a local file named _history.txt and Keyboard layouts for loadkeys are stored in loadkeys.txt.
Executed commands are saved to commands.txt which is overwritten each execution.

This program makes use of the VirtualBox command: VBoxManage controlvm keyboardputfile

Download link and screenshots are available here:
http://fundme.link/VBoxCommander/
shibaa987

Re: VBox Commander - Send keystrokes/commands to a VM

Post by shibaa987 »

Clipboard interaction can be enabled on VirtualBox by installing Guest additions, correct me if I am wrong!
If that is true, then what else is the significance of this application?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Fred will have to speak for certain regarding the app, but a quick read may allow an answer to your question:
shibaa987 wrote:Clipboard interaction can be enabled on VirtualBox by installing Guest additions
Yes.

But what to do about OS's that don't have Guest Additions available, like DOS/95/98/ME?
FredBarbarossa wrote:VBox Commander makes it easy to send keystrokes / commands to a VM that does not support clipboard interaction
FredBarbarossa

Post by FredBarbarossa »

But what to do about OS's that don't have Guest Additions available, like DOS/95/98/ME?
FredBarbarossa wrote:VBox Commander makes it easy to send keystrokes / commands to a VM that does not support clipboard interaction
Correct,
also installing VM additions to all Linux distros in not always necessary if you only need to do some inital config and later will use the VM over SSH etc.
This program is probably not for everyone but it might save someone some frustrations in some specific situations.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Just tried your app on a DOS VM with no GAs available, and it worked perfectly!

Very nice!

For future downloaders, I got the typical "we don't what this program is so we're not going to download it" warnings from the browser and Windows (probably because it appears to not be signed). But after dismissing the warnings and running a Windows 10 Defender scan on it there were no problems found. Just over-active AV again...
FredBarbarossa

Post by FredBarbarossa »

Yes it is made with Delphi XE2 Professional, I have not gone into making signed software.
Since I make these software for free I have not invested in getting certificates etc. just checked an OV cert would cost $84 per year and EV cert $349.00 per year :(