Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Building VirtualBox from SVN using Debian-Based x86_64

Post by Perryg »

|
VirtualBox master build instructions

Warning: SVN is considered bleeding edge. Do not use in a production environment

This is the way I build VirtualBox OSE from SVN and install. Notice that this is the hardened version and must be installed before it will work.
If you want to build using the "./configure --disable-hardening" you will need to add additional symlinks indicated in the VirtualBox master build instructions above.
If you install this on an Debian Squeeze host, you will have a fully functional Bleeding edge VirtualBox-OSE. If you install it on a Debian Squeeze guest you will still have a copy of VirtualBox but will not be able to actually install a guest due to not being able to run a virtualizer in another virtualizer.
Note: If this is a rebuild it is suggested that you delete the ~/virtualbox/vbox/out folder before starting to prevent conflicts.

Packages needed to compile VirtualBox

Code: Select all

apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) gcc g++ bcc iasl xsltproc uuid-dev zlib1g-dev libidl-dev libsdl1.2-dev libxcursor-dev libasound2-dev libpulse-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libqt4-dev qt4-dev-tools libcap-dev libxmu-dev mesa-common-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev  libpam0g-dev libqt4-opengl-dev libc6-dev-i386 lib32gcc1 gcc-multilib lib32stdc++6 g++-multilib libstdc++6 libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev makeself default-jdk texlive-full curl gsoap yasm subversion python-dev java-common doxygen libgtk2.0-dev libdevmapper-dev libvpx-dev libssl-dev libvncserver0 libvncserver-dev 
You will also need to install openwatcom separately. Located here

Run the code

cd ~/virtualbox
   svn co http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk vbox
   cd vbox
   ./configure
   source ./env.sh
   kmk all
   cd ~/virtualbox/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/src
   make
   sudo make install
   cd ~/virtualbox/vbox/src/VBox
   kmk packing
   cp ~/virtualbox/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VirtualBox-4.*.*_OSE-r*.run ~/
   cd ~/
   sudo ./VirtualBox-4.*.*_OSE-r*.run install
Note: This compiles a complete for distribution build that is installable including the guest additions for your build and can use all of the VirtualBox benefits. If you do not want to install features you need to modify it to your environment as that is not the purpose of this tutorial.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Building VirtualBox tarball (OSE) using Debian-Based x86_64

Post by Perryg »

Newer build dependencies for OSE tarball and SVN:

Tested with Debian 8.6 and the VirtualBox 5.1.22 tarball.

apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) gcc g++ bcc iasl xsltproc uuid-dev zlib1g-dev libidl-dev libsdl1.2-dev libxcursor-dev libasound2-dev libpulse-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libcap-dev libxmu-dev mesa-common-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev  libpam0g-dev libqt4-opengl-dev libc6-dev-i386 lib32gcc1 gcc-multilib lib32stdc++6 g++-multilib libstdc++6 libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev makeself default-jdk texlive-full curl gsoap yasm subversion python-dev java-common doxygen libgtk2.0-dev libdevmapper-dev libvpx-dev libssl-dev texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-recommended texlive-fonts-extra texlive-fonts-recommended qt5-default libqt5x11extras5-dev qttools5-dev-tools lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32stdc++6 
Perryg
Site Moderator

Re: Building VirtualBox from SVN using Debian-Based x86_64

Post by Perryg »

A note to users that wish to build a deb package

You will find that the top level debian folder ( /trunk/debian ) probably will fail to build in normal situations. I believe this folder was placed there by request of some maintainer but it lacks files that are needed to build locally. You can compare the file structure yourself but without these packages you will have issues of missing scripts, Etc.. I test with the same location ( /trunk/src/VBox/Installer/linux/debian ) I have for years and it still works as it should if you have installed the proper build packages listed above.