VMSVGA dynamic resizing not working in Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Phaqui

VMSVGA dynamic resizing not working in Guest Additions

Post by Phaqui »

Same issue (resize not working) with a fresh Debian guest (Windows 7 host). Guest Additions of same version as virtualbox (v6.1.14).
Graphics Controller: VMSVGA (with 3D acceleration turned on).

No warnings or errors when running the "VBoxLinuxAdditions" file from the CD. Nothing that clearly indicates that it failed to install or build
something that was required for resizing to work.

Solved by installing required packages:

$ sudo apt install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential

It would be neat if the installer shell script would warn that it could not build what it needed for dynamic resizing to work.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VMSVGA dynamic resizing not working in Guest Additions

Post by scottgus1 »

I split your post off, we'll leave the other topic for the other OP.

Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I see no mention of dkms in the VirtualBox user manual. What makes you think this is an essential?
Mats62
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS 7.6,7.2, 6.2,AlmaLinux 9.1

Post by Mats62 »

Hi mpack, installing dkms is something I've seen mentioned as a requirement when searching the web on instructions how to install the GAs.
(like a host of other things too, like kernel-devel for example)

Installing CentOS 7.2 as "full development workstation" or whatever the exact wording is, I've never seen a need to install anything beyond what gets installed anyway.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Mats62 wrote:Hi mpack, installing dkms is something I've seen mentioned as a requirement when searching the web on instructions how to install the GAs.
Yes sure, it was a requirement 10 years ago, and most offsite blogs always seem to be stuck in a time warp. If you want reliable information then check the user manual, not third party blogs - and the user manual does not mention "dkms".

And that is all I can say without seeing that VBox.log that Scott requested.