End kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
t5848

End kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init

Post by t5848 »

I looked everywhere I couldn't seem to find any solutions about my problem. I keep getting the same error when I try to launch Ubuntu on my VM. Error: "end kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init". I looked everywhere for the answer but most people with the error had to change their BIOS setup configurations. I tried that solution but it's still not working. I've been having problems for the past few days, and so I was wondering can anyone help me? :(

I attached the zipped log file below, thank you!
Attachments
Error.rar
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: End kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init

Post by scottgus1 »

You have full virtualization capabilities being used:
00:00:01.715704 HM: HMR3Init: VT-x w/ nested paging and unrestricted guest execution hw support
So there is nothing you need to touch in your computer's BIOS related to virtualization.

The default name of a guest's disk file is the name of the guest itself:
00:00:01.715338 Name <string> = "Linux-Module_default_1597708897130_95089" (cb=41)
Linux-Module_default_1597708897130_95089\box-disk001.vmdk'
That "box-disk001.vmdk" implies to me this guest was an imported OVA, not a fresh install. OVAs were installed already and hopefully will run on the host PC the OVA gets imported on. This may not always happen.

Can you try a guest OS installed from an ISO?

You seem to have Vagrant installed:
00:00:01.715251 Per-VM extradata API settings:
00:00:01.715259 VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/vagrant="1"
Vagrant uses Virtualbox in ways we on the Virtualbox forums don't grok. Vagrant forums do, though. You might want to ask them.

I don't see anything indicating a failure of Virtualbox in the posted log file. "end kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init" is not an error from Virtualbox. It comes from the guest's OS.

Generally, if a Virtualbox guest window stays up and running and the guest OS is throwing errors and messages it normally throws on real PC's, then Virtualbox is still working and the problem should be troubleshot using the guest OS's forums and help channels.I suggest you ask on the guest OS's forums how to find the cause of "end kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init". Maybe there's a grub switch that can be added or modified. (Example: A particular OS was reported to run in Virtualbox on Intel hosts but not on AMD. I confirmed this on my Intel and AMD hosts. By reading the guest OS's syslog file a forum guru suggested altering the grub loader to turn off the NMI watchdog, and the guest OS booted on the AMD host. It wasn't a Virtualbox problem, and was solved using expert knowledge of the guest OS itself.)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

If you configure Settings > Display > Screen > Video Memory to 128 MB, does the problem persist?
t5848

Post by t5848 »

fth0 wrote:If you configure Settings > Display > Screen > Video Memory to 128 MB, does the problem persist?
Hello! Yea, the error still persists unfortunately :?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I didn't see any problems indicated in the VBox.log file. Therefore, I'd suggest to analyze the problem as if the Linux OS would be running on a real PC then.