Just released NVIDIA driver 451.48 broke Linux guests 3D support on all my Linux guests

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
piggyz

Just released NVIDIA driver 451.48 broke Linux guests 3D support on all my Linux guests

Post by piggyz »

Microsoft Windows [Versione 10.0.19041.329] host

Like in the object.

Simply upgrading my notebook (asus Vivobook with dual graphics support) to that version of the Nvidia drivers (just released, 24/6/2020) reverted all my numerous linux guests (Gentoo, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc etc) perfectly working in 3D graphic mode via VMSVGA driver, to software rendering mode.

The exact not working driver is numbered: 27.21.14.5148 (the name of the whole package is 451.48)

I can't say for Wndows guests becouse I don't use them a lot and I admit I don't know how to check 3D support in Windows guests.

If more infos are needed, just ask.

I had to use Windows System Restore to roll back to the old NVIDIA drivers to have back 3D accelleration support on my Linux Guests.
Last edited by piggyz on 25. Jun 2020, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
piggyz

Re: Just released NVIDIA driver 451.48 broke Linux guests 3D support on all my Linux guests

Post by piggyz »

UPDATE: considering it was not acceptable for me to stuck with NVIDIA old driver just becouse the 3D Viirtualbox problem in Linux Guests, my workaround is to switch my Linux Guests configurations to use the integrated Intel Graphics 530 card. And with this card Virtualbox Linux Guests 3D is back.

Then, the problem is still there with NVIDIA drivers.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Just released NVIDIA driver 451.48 broke Linux guests 3D support on all my Linux guests

Post by scottgus1 »

On the Windows Hosts forum there have been a few reports of new Nvidia drivers with a file that was not security-signed correctly, thus causing 3D-enabled guests to not start, due to hardening errors.

This is probably the same issue. Switching to integrated graphics uses different drivers for 3D.

Get on with Nvidia to see if they can sign that file.
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

Then, why Windows 10 - 2004 Host do not complain about wrong signed drivers when it install them and Virtualbox guests do?

It should be good to have this fixed becouse -considering I do run Windows desktop on integrated card - to have Virtualbox like it used to be on the Nvidia card lower a lot the use of main CPU. :-(
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

piggyz wrote: why Windows 10 - 2004 Host do not complain about wrong signed drivers when it install them and Virtualbox guests do?
Virtualbox developers found that malware installed on the host could use Windows' usual DLL injection capabilities to inject into Virtualbox and get greater permissions than it could have had before. So the devs came up with Virtualbox hardening, which went through some iterations and settled on asking the DLL that wished to inject to be security-signed. Since malware distributors don't want to be identified, this signing requirement seems to have enabled Virtualbox to be a secure environment. However, if a "bueno-ware" developer forgets to sign a DLL, it also gets fingered by Virtualbox. Developers need to sign their stuff.

Why Windows allows unsigned DLLs to run on their OS's is a question for Microsoft...
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

New drivers released 27.21.14.5167 on 5 July 2020 do not fix the problem.

This means they (NVIDIA) do not perceive the wrong signature as a problem.

I don't really have idea how to contact them related with this issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

piggyz wrote:This means they (NVIDIA) do not perceive the wrong signature as a problem.
It could mean that they don't know the problem exists, too.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I could imagine that VirtualBox is the only software having a problem with the (wrong?) signature:

The NVIDIA drivers from the Microsoft WHQL have two signatures, one from NVIDIA, and one from Microsoft. Some of the DLLs have been signed by NVIDIA using an expired NVIDIA certificate in combination with a current DigiCert code signing timestamp, and could(*) therefore be assessed as unverifiable with the NVIDIA signature, but the Microsoft signature is valid nonetheless.

(*) This is even disputable, because there is no definite statement in Microsoft Authenticode that the code signing timestamp must lie inside the validity period of the certificate.
Last edited by fth0 on 11. Jul 2020, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

piggyz wrote:I don't really have idea how to contact them related with this issue.
Please notify NVIDIA that their SHA1 code signing certificate from 2019 has expired in June 2020, and they're currently using the previous one from 2018, which expired in July 2019.
jacobd

Post by jacobd »

You can report driver issues to NVIDIA using this form: https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA

If you have time, it will be worth you filling it out with as much technical information as possible to help speed up a resolution (i.e if you can see which files are unsigned/signed wrong etc).
More user reports will help hopefully!
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

I reported the problem to NVidia using the form indicated in this thread. Still no reply, and still very annoying problem. I'm surprised not a lot of people come to this discussion. I can't imagine not to use 3D accelleration this days on a guest VM, this is basic this days even if you do virtualize for basic programming.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

See fth0's suggested driver versions:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99059&p=480386#p480336
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

scottgus1 wrote:See fth0's suggested driver versions:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99059&p=480386#p480336
Nooo, I do not absolutely downgrade for a single software problem, even if it upset me a lot not to have 3D with Nvidia card, more fast and more free of resources.

BTW, Nvidia was very quick to reply: they deny the problem and remind me to Oracle for this problem. They explain they signature is perfectly accepted by any software and they are aware there is some quick code mess in the virtualbox hardening portion of the Virtualbox signature code

Now, probably Oracle have no interest in fixing this considering not many people seems interested to this problem. The point is: how they can't be not interested considering this day 3D is mandatory for running a graphical interface, from Gnome to Cinnamon, etc etc
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

What you choose to do is your own business, piggyz, no one is forcing you.

We are just fellow users of Virtualbox on these forums. No Oracle devs post here. Be sure your statements of frustration reflect that the people who do read them cannot fix the problem, and that users of free Virtualbox like yourself are entitled to zero support.

If and when Oracle's paying customers run into this driver issue, the devs will check if the hardening code is miscoded. Meantime, you can get your guests running by turning off 3D acceleration or downgrading drivers. It is your choice, please feel free to tell us what you did if you feel the need, but cast no aspersions in doing so, for you will only hurt your further chances in getting help from the fellow users here for further issues you may have.
jacobd

Post by jacobd »

piggyz wrote:
BTW, Nvidia was very quick to reply: they deny the problem and remind me to Oracle for this problem. They explain they signature is perfectly accepted by any software and they are aware there is some quick code mess in the virtualbox hardening portion of the Virtualbox signature code
There is a bug report open here: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19743
When you have a chance would you be able to copy the reply from NVIDIA discussing this issue into the bug report? That will be useful, I think, when someone picks it up.