Screen resolution is very small on laptop but works fine on external monitor

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
iprocessor

Screen resolution is very small on laptop but works fine on external monitor

Post by iprocessor »

Hello folks,

I use Oracle Virtualbox version 6.0.22 r137980 and running a Centos8 guest OS, the host is Windows 10 (10.0 build 18363) my laptop resolution works fine as 1920 x 1080
Below is my Oracle Virtualbox VM guest OS Centos "Display" settings:
Video Memory: 44 MB
Monitor Count: 1
Scale Factor: 100%
Graphics Controller: VMSVGA
Display

I installed the Guest Additions correctly and the screen resolution works fine and big on external monitor, but it is very small on my laptop.
Is there any misconfigured options in my guest OS ? Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Display resolution is fine and works perfect on external monitor, but icons and text is very small on my laptop screen. It should be the same scale as this screenshot image. FYI, this is a zoomed screenshot.
Display resolution is fine and works perfect on external monitor, but icons and text is very small on my laptop screen. It should be the same scale as this screenshot image. FYI, this is a zoomed screenshot.
virtualbox_centos_icons_too_small_on_laptop_screen.JPG (118.41 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
iprocessor

Re: Screen resolution is very small on laptop but works fine on external monitor

Post by iprocessor »

Update:

- I tried to change the VirtualBox VirtualScreen1 setting from the upper menu bar, View=>VirtualScreen1=>Scale to 125% it gives me the best fit on laptop, but why it does not fit to my host screen resolution at 100 %?

Also after making this step If I connect the laptop to an external monitor, it needs to be scaled down to 100% again to make it fit on the external screen!!

It can fit to 100 % without any changes to the resolution or the VirtualScreen1 scale normally on an external monitor screen.
Any updates on this behavior ?

Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Screen resolution is very small on laptop but works fine on external monitor

Post by scottgus1 »

If one of your monitors is standard size and the other is one of those Ultra8K super-mega-pixel jobbers with pixels half the size of a fly's whisker, then these size mismatches can occur. Try adjusting the graphics settings in the Virtualbox icon's right-click Properties, Compatibility tab, Change HiDPI settings. (I can't suggest what to set them to, as I don't have a super-resolution monitor. Be sure to turn off all Virtualbox windows before changing the settings.)
iprocessor

Post by iprocessor »

Hello scottgus1,

Let me check these configurations and I'll get back with what I got out

Thanks for the reply.