[Resolved] Guest stuck at login after guest addition 6.1.9 rc138395

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
RonanaSplit

[Resolved] Guest stuck at login after guest addition 6.1.9 rc138395

Post by RonanaSplit »

Hi all,

I have a running VM guest for Centos 6.2 on a Windows10 host since 3 months now and it was working well with VirtualBox 6.1.6 and associated guest additions.

This morning i update the virtualbox to 6.1.8 (and associated guest additions) and i have a message display regarding the "parent display not detected as X11". I updated the guest addition with Test Build 6.1.9 rc138395 (see on several posts). Since that, my VM starts, the login windows appears and after i enter the login information (root or user), the screen is stuck (see attachment).
The message displayed was already there with guest addition 6.1.6 with no problem.
I can move the mouse pointer and that's all. Nothing respond. No keyboard action, no mouse key.....

So my question is: how could I restore the guest addition installation to retrieve all my virtual environment?

I'm using the VirtualFile manager to copy on the host some of my not saved work but if I could retrieve the all system, I would prefer.
Thanks for any help.
Regards

EDIT: I fixed the issue. I boot the Centos 6 into single user mode and reinstall the original guest addition release of VB and it's booting again. I lost my day but at least I haven't lost all my work.
Attachments
Capture.JPG (39.18 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
Manolito

Re: [Resolved] Guest stuck at login after guest addition 6.1.9 rc138395

Post by Manolito »

thank u

the same behavior happens in 6.1.10.

fyi: simply uninstalling VBoxGuestAdditions-6.1.[8 | 10] also solves the problem.

eg:
CTRL + ALT + F1, login, then

Code: Select all

sudo /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-6.1.10/uninstall.sh
reboot

the iso file of the latest functional version of the guest additions can be obtained at "i can't post urls :lol:"... so search for VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.6.iso :wink: