Raspbian guest additions?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Jazz1

Raspbian guest additions?

Post by Jazz1 »

Hi;
I installed Raspbian for pc on a VM.
I can not seem to get guest additions installed and working.
I thought I had it installed, but nothing works. No screen/display resize no shared clipboard etc.
Could someone walk me through this?

TIA
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Raspbian guest additions?

Post by scottgus1 »

Look through this: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes If Raspbian, or the Linux/whatever basis for Raspbian is not listed then the GAs probably won't work.

Lets see what the log says. Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Jazz1

Post by Jazz1 »

Raspian is not on that list.
It is from what I understand a derivative of debian, but I do not know what ver..
Jazz1

Post by Jazz1 »

Log file added
Attachments
Raspian for pc-2020-05-10-15-44-32 log.zip
(30 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

True Raspian is for ARM. "Raspian for PC" is just Debian, with the particular desktop, shell and FOSS software bundle used by Raspian.

Just treat it as Debian, which it is, so yes the GAs should work fine. And in fact the log shows that they're installed, including the graphics drivers though I don't see the display going above 800x600. In the VirtualBox Manager, make sure that File|Preferences|Display|Max Guest Screen Size is set to "Auto" or "None". While running the VM, make sure that View|Auto resize guest display is ticked. I assume you also understand that display sizes have to be selected by the guest OS, they can't be imposed by VirtualBox: though with the GAs installed you can request particular sizes using View|Virtual screen n|Resize to www x hhh.
Jazz1

Post by Jazz1 »

I have it set for auto. under file/preferences/display
under view/virtual screen
The only screen resolution available is resize 800x600
it is scalable though.
Auto-resize under view is greyed out.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Maybe it is not using a X11 based desktop environment which would be supported with the guest addition video drivers.
Jazz1

Post by Jazz1 »

??? I used the one that comes with the newest Virtualbox update 6.0.20 I thin it is.
Just out of curiosity I set up debian and have many of the same issues.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't know how to fix the screen problem, but you do have the Guest Additions installed.
00:00:03.488008 VirtualBox VM 6.0.20 r137117 win.amd64 (Apr 9 2020 16:51:15) release log
00:00:28.016835 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 6.0.20 r137117 '6.0.20'
Questions on getting the GAs to work in a Linux guest would be better suited to the Linux Guests forum.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote:Questions on getting the GAs to work in a Linux guest would be better suited to the Linux Guests forum.
Good point. This was never a "Windows Hosts" question. Topic moved.