Onboard camera not reconised

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Deltaone

Onboard camera not reconised

Post by Deltaone »

Gentlmen
New to forum and new to Virtualbox and guest additions so please forgive me if this subject as been covered before, I have read through the posts refering to webcams not working but they all apear to be USB cameras. I have two guest additions Linux Mint 19 and Ubuntu 20.04 and neither when loading 'cheese' will reconsie my laptop camera, if I look in v/box devices it lists my onboard camera Toshiba webcam- HD. If I run either Mint or Ubuntu on a live USB the camera and cheese work OK so I'd welcome any sugestions/advice please
H
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Onboard camera not reconised

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Deltaone

Post by Deltaone »

Hi and thanks for reply hopefully I ve got what you for however when I attached it I got The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB please advise
H
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

'zip' the file, which should reduce it to an acceptable size, before attaching it.
Deltaone

Post by Deltaone »

Thanks
Attachments
Ubuntu_20.04_LinuxVMImages.com-2020-04-30-20-53-21.zip
(32.38 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Deltaone wrote:I have read through the posts refering to webcams not working but they all apear to be USB cameras.
Your laptop camera is certainly a USB camera, what other bus would it be connected to? Only you don't seem to have enabled USB2 or USB3 in the VM settings, nor applied a device filter.

To clarify, how exactly are you trying to access the laptop camera? Is it as a USB device, or are you using the webcam passthrough feature described in chapter 9.6 of the 6.0.20 user manual?

I'm trying to find out when the integrated webcam passthrough feature was introduced, but I'm having difficulty finding mention of it in the changelog. I guess that it probably was before 6.0.20. [edit: and in fact I just checked the manual for 6.0.20, and the feature is described there].
Deltaone

Post by Deltaone »

Many thanks for your help thus far however I think I am going to kick virtualbox into touch it seems that every time I turn it on another problem pops up I'm now struggling to get a network connection the software seems unstable I'll see what else is out there
Thanks again
H