Sudden problems with debian distro

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
vdonawell

Sudden problems with debian distro

Post by vdonawell »

I've been using a debian distro for a month an suddenly it wont start, it just says :

FATAL : No bootable medium found! System halted

The thing is the .vdi file has its size but cant boot from it and i had some important files in there, how could i recover them, i tried mounting the disk in another virtual machine but was not recognized. I'm really surprised since i didn't do anything unusual. I'm running it from a OSX host
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Sudden problems with debian distro

Post by scottgus1 »

That error means the disk does not contain a bootable OS that Virtualbox can find. Disk corruption from the host or guest OS at the correct location can cause it. Bad boot loader?

If the "was not recognized" when you mounted the disk to another guest means Virtualbox let you attach the drive file but the new guest OS couldn't make sense of it, then you might be able to fix it using a suitable LiveCD. Google for what to do. Of course the new guest OS must normally be able to understand the drive's file system. Windows won't get very far with ext4, for example.

If the "was not recognized" came from Virtualbox itself and you could not attach the disk, try letting Mpack's CloneVDI try fix it. CloneVDI can fix the Virtualbox headers to a vdi file.

Though I know it is like suggesting one close the barn door after the runaway horse returns, it needs to be said: important files need good reliable and restorable backups.