Cannot view desktop

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
zulaziz

Cannot view desktop

Post by zulaziz »

Hi, new guy here.Sorry asking for very basic question
I just installed 18.0.4.4 ubuntu on vb. When i run ubuntu, its directly open in terminal view. So how can i open in desktop view? and how can i open more terminal window?
Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot view desktop

Post by mpack »

First: I assume that's a question about a guest, not a "Linux Hosts" question. When running a hotel for virtual PCs it's good to know the difference between the host (of which there is one) and a guest, which may be many. I'll move this topic to "Linux Guests".

Second: VirtualBox is only the "manufacturer" of your virtual PC. It no more controls the behaviour of guest OS than (say) Dell or HP does. If an Ubuntu guest fails to boot to a desktop then that could be for many reasons, none of which is a VirtualBox issue. For example, perhaps you chose to install Ubuntu without a desktop. Perhaps you didn't add enough RAM (to meet the minimum Ubuntu requirement), or perhaps Ubuntu was simply not installed properly. I'm afraid you haven't given us much to go on.

We can have a look at the VM log. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.